| WMU News
KALAMAZOO, Mich.—The Zhang Career Center, located in Western Michigan University's Haworth College of Business, is celebrating its 10-year anniversary with a brief program and reception at 3:30 p.m. on Thursday, March 28, outside of Room 3020 of Schneider Hall.
The center oversees thousands of student interactions, organizes dozens of programs and hosts hundreds of employers each year. Its impact in the last 10 years has been immense and far-reaching.
- William Johnston, chairman, Greenleaf Hospitality Group and Catalyst Development LLC
- Dr. Jennifer Bott, provost, WMU
- Lynn Chen-Zhang, chief operating officer and chief compliance officer, Zhang Financial
- Taylor Dunn, current WMU business student
The celebration will include the presentation of the Zhang Career Center Awards, which will be presented by Geralyn Heystek, director, Zhang Career Center.
- Premier Partner of the Year—Kellogg Company
- Employer of the Year—Greenleaf Hospitality
- Faculty Member of the Year—Dr. Melissa Intindola, WMU assistant professor of management
The program will be followed by tours of the facility and a heavy hors d'oeuvres reception.
Zhang Career Center points of pride
- 94 percent of business graduates working, in graduate school or serving in the military within three months of graduation
- 100 percent student satisfaction with the center
- More than 20,078 career interactions annually and growing
- More than 300 company site visits through the Business Externship Program that connects students with mentors
In 2015, the facility was named the Zhang Career Center in honor of Charles and Lynn Zhang. "The career readiness education provided by WMU's Zhang Career Center is a very important component of students’ education," says Lynn Chen-Zhang. "This is where we help our students with solid first steps on their career paths and where students synthesize what they have learned into a compelling professional narrative for potential employers. Charles and I are very pleased to be able to contribute to the growth of the Haworth College of Business, and we are especially honored to be able to help prepare the next generation of business leaders to be competitive as they launch their careers."
To RSVP for this event, visit online.
Charles Zhang and Lynn Chen-Zhang
Charles and Lynn Chen-Zhang both earned graduate degrees from WMU and run a Michigan-based fee-only financial planning and investment firm, Zhang Financial. Charles Zhang has been regularly ranked in the top 10 among the top-100 financial advisors in the nation and for many years has been ranked the No. 1 advisor in the state of Michigan by both Barron's and Forbes. Lynn Chen-Zhang has been recognized by Barron's as one of the nation’s top 100 women financial advisors. The Zhangs are often quoted in national media sources including CNBC, the Wall Street Journal and Barron's. They are supporters of many University programs, including Miller Auditorium, the Department of Economics, the Academically Talented Youth Program in the Office of Precollege Programming, and additional programs in the Haworth College of Business. The Zhangs were also the major donors to the spectacular Zhang Legacy Collections Center, opened on WMU's campus in 2013. Lynn Chen-Zhang also serves on the WMU Board of Trustees, is the president of the WMU Foundation Board, and is a member of the Haworth College of Business Advisory Council.
For more WMU news, arts and events, visit WMU News online.