Dr. Peter Renstrom, who joined the WMU faculty in 1969, was an expert on constitutional law and U.S. elections. He taught courses on the American judicial process, criminal justice, civil liberties and civil rights and American politics. He was honored by the College of Arts and Sciences in 2002 for his role in preparing students in his department's public law program for professional roles in government and the law.
The fund, established by Western Michigan University in his honor, is governed by the following criteria:
1. The $1,000 award shall be known as the “Peter Renstrom Prize”.
2. The award shall be given to a law school bound senior.
3. The Political Science department will solicit applications for the scholarship and select the recipient.
4. Students from any department will be eligible.
5. The student will be recognized - along with the other PSCI endowed scholarship recipients - at an annual spring honors luncheon in April.
6. Students must have a cumulative GPA of 3.5.
Your application form, essay and names of references are due in the political science department office, 3308 Friedmann Hall, by March 1. Announcement of the award will be made at the end of March. The award will be presented at the Political Science Honors Luncheon in early April.