Presenting and publishing papers and exhibits or performances of creative work represent tangible evidence of research, scholarly and/or creative activities. Therefore, the FRTF is designed to provide financial assistance for bargaining unit faculty to travel to meetings of professional organizations for the express purposes of:
- Reporting the results of original or applied research.
- Exhibiting or performing creative works.
Examples of creative activities funded include:
- MASQUES for piano and brass quintet performed at a public concert at New York’s Carnegie Hall.
- Solo recital, Five Sonorous Inventions, National Association of Music Teachers, National Convention, Dallas, TX.
Examples of travel that are not funded:
- Chairing a meeting or panel without presenting.
- Attendance at meetings as a board member without presenting.
- Serving as a moderator.
- Serving as a commentator.
- Individuals eligible for travel support are restricted to all those holding board-appointed faculty rank (i.e. members of the bargaining unit) at the time the paper or the creative activity is presented.
- With no lodging restrictions in terms of number of nights. There are also no limits on meals, but applicants must follow federal guidelines (which are 3 meals per day and the allowable per diem).
- While WMU has a travel ban all travel must have prior approval via the WMU process at https://wmich.edu/travel.
- Virtual conference registration fees are allowable as long all eligibility (part I.) items are met.
- The department chair must certify that the professional organization or forum at which the work is presented is of high caliber.
- Reimbursement will be for the following actual, allowable expenses—up to the annual maximum amount approved by the Research Policies Council (RPC) each September for the current fiscal year.
- Transportation costs, economy class airfare, and related ground transportation.
- Conference or exhibition registration fees
- Operating in the role of mentor for a student presenter, as verified by the department chair or director
- If a traditional in-person conference changes format to a teleconferencing conference due to COVID-19 concerns, the registration cost and required fees are eligible for FRTF reimbursement. FRTF will not cover transportation, lodging or per diem for a teleconference.
- Reimbursement will not be made to Funds 25 through 29. If expenditures are made from grant accounts, they are not reimbursable.
- All expenditures made through the FRTF must conform to the University’s travel policy. All pre-approvals must be attached.