Being discovery driven, WMU focuses on ways to support its faculty researchers. General funds have been designated to incentivize scholarship and creative activities. The Office of the Vice President for Research also contributes funds. Together, WMU and the research office facilitate the following opportunities.
- Faculty Research and Creative Activities Award—The FRACAA is a competitive award that supports WMU faculty in significant research, rigorous scientific inquiry, original artistic activity and inventive technology. Awards are made for up to $10,000 and require submission of an external funding proposal within 18 months of the end of the project period. See a list of WMU faculty who have benefited from this assistance: previous FRACAA winners.
- Faculty Research Travel Fund—The FRTF supports faculty travel to meetings of professional organizations for the purpose of reporting research results, exhibiting or performing creative works, or otherwise disseminating the results of WMU’s scholarly activity. Apply after travel to receive reimbursement.
- Publication of Papers and Exhibition of Creative Works—PPP&E funds support the final preparation and publication of papers and exhibition of creative works through recognized media. Apply after the research or creative work has been completed.
- Support for Faculty Scholars Award—The SFSA supports creative activities and research that may not lead to external funding but enhance and sustain the scholarly reputation of WMU and the faculty principal investigators. See a list of WMU faculty who have benefited from this support: previous SFSA winners.
- Incentive Program for Graduate Student Support on Externally-Funded Research Program—This program is intended to increase the engagement and support for graduate students in externally funded research and creative scholarship, while promoting the submission of external research funding proposals across WMU and provide support for both in-state and out-of-state students.
- Technology Development Fund—The TDF is Western Michigan University funds available to help discoveries make the transition from invention to commercialization.
Internal support may also be available from some WMU colleges, departments and offices.