These funds support Western Michigan University faculty in the publication of their papers and exhibition of their creative works through recognized media. In this context, “final preparation and publication of papers and exhibition”—or PPP&E—means activities occurring after the research or creative activity has been completed. This fund is administered in accordance with the WMU-AAUP Contract (Article 34). Applications for each fiscal year are due within 31 days of the end of the fiscal year. Maximum reimbursement for 2021-22 is $1,000.
- 2021-22 Application Due to COVID-19 PPPE applications can be emailed directly to email@example.com instead of being sent via campus mail.
Purpose of the fund
The purpose of these funds is to support the Final Preparation and Publication of Papers, and Exhibition of Creative Works through recognized media. In this context, PPP&E means activities occurring after the research or creative activity has been completed. This fund is administered in accordance with the WMU-AAUP Contract (Article 34).
Examples of fundable activities and typical cost categories:
- Publicity material development and special charges, e.g., graphic preparation such as photographs of final work for submission, technical services
- Publicity and entry fees for exhibits or competitions.
- Framing or other protection methods to allow work to go to a public exhibit.
- Shipping of final materials or costs for transportation such as truck rental.
- Printing, e.g., copying, pre‐ or re‐prints and page charges. This includes printing CDs or DVDs for dissemination.
- Miscellaneous, e.g., disks, tapes, other supplies, and postage for dissemination.
- Page charges or reprint charges for published articles.
- Costs for indexing and subvention charges for books
- Printing of posters for presentation at conferences as long as the faulty member is an author.
- The publication of a paper or book (page charges or subvention for example)
For all disciplines funding is not permitted for preparing the work for the final stage for that type of research or creative scholarship. This includes:
- Work done to prepare for an exhibit or performance
- Any supplies required to create the exhibition/performance such as sheet music, costumes, lighting or equipment. Any supplies required to do the work that forms the basis of a book or paper.
- Space rentals for rehearsals or for performances.
- Materials required for the performance of a research project.
The Office of Research and Innovation administers the PPP&E program under guidelines established by the Research Policy Council. Awards are made through the Journal Entry System (JES) to reimburse the designated department fund and ID number for approved expenses. Faculty must process expenses against the department account prior to submitting the application (see application procedures).
- Only WMU bargaining unit faculty members are eligible to apply.
- The department chair must certify that the expenses are proper and necessary.
- Maximum reimbursement in one fiscal year will be up to the amount approved by the Research Policy Council each September for the current fiscal year. If a single award is less than the maximum, the faculty member may submit additional applications until the maximum is reached. For the sake of efficiency, multiple expenses from a single faculty member should be submitted at one time.
- Reimbursement may not be claimed for expenses that could be recovered from other sources (e.g., grants or contracts).
- All expenditures must conform to appropriate University policies.
- The minimum amount of reimbursement per request is $100.
- Faculty members must complete the PPP&E application form.
- The completed PPP&E application form and expense receipts/invoices should then be submitted to the department chair for his/her verification and signature. Expenses must be processed against the department fund and ID account (cost center) prior to completing the remaining application submission procedures.
- The application form with the receipts or invoices and processed WMU vouchers or procard statement showing payment was made should then be sent as a single PDF document to the Office of Research and Innovation at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Pending verification of eligibility and approval of expenditures, the Office of Research and Innovation will then reimburse the department by transferring funds into the departmental account through GLOW.