BSW Application Process
If you select social work as your major when you are admitted to WMU, you will be admitted into the pre-social work curriculum. This does not guarantee admission to the social work major.
Once you have completed SWRK 2100 Social Work Services and Professional Roles and have a minimum of 30 credit hours, you can complete the department application to the undergraduate social work major.
The deadline for department applications is March 15 (for fall admission) and Sept 15 (for spring admission). A faculty admissions committee reviews all applications in what is a competitive admissions process.
- Completion of SWRK 2100 and at least 30 undergraduate credit hours
- Minimum overall grade point average of 2.5
- General and social work related employment
- Participation in community services, leadership activities and volunteer experience
- Written communication skills, personal qualifications, and basic knowledge of the profession as evidenced in the supplemental statement
In conformance with the requirements of the Council on Social Work Education, the WMU School of Social Work cannot grant social work course credit or field hours for life experience or previous work experience.