The Western Michigan University School of Social Work offers research-driven professional programs that work closely with students and the community, focusing on social change, social justice and service transformation. Its graduate and undergraduate programs stress the need to:
- Recognize and fight discrimination in its many forms.
- Speak out against injustice.
- Promote human rights and a more equitable distribution of resources and power.
The school seeks to create a learning environment that is responsive to students' professional development, promoting community and a sense of individual and collective responsibility among and between students. Meaningful interaction among students, faculty and field instructors supports self-examination, expression and innovation.
Director Candidate Interviews
Three candidates for the open position of Director of the School of Social Work will be coming to Kalamazoo to interview and present to the University community. The public is invited to the presentations to meet the candidates and engage in Q&A sessions.
- Dr. Elise Fullmer - CV
Tuesday, May 14, 9 a.m., CHHS 4267
Presentation: The invisibility of LGBTQ Older Adults: Unique Barriers and Challenges
- Dr. Elizabeth Talbot - CV
Tuesday, May 21, 9 a.m., CHHS 1010
Presentation: Human Trafficking
- Dr. Charnetta Gadling-Cole - CV
Friday, May 31, 9 a.m., CHHS 1010
Presentation: Dismantling the School to Prison Pipeline
current student events
- The IP graduation celebration will be held Friday, June 28, at 6 p.m. at LMC Todd Center, 2785 E. Napier Ave, Benton Harbor
Grand Rapids Location
- Friday, June 21, at 6 p.m. at The Cultural Center, 2250 East Paris Ave. SE, Grand Rapids
new student events
Incoming students are asked to attend campus-specific kickoff/orientation events before their classes start. Please find the applicable event below, and contact your campus directly with any questions.
- MSW Make-up Orientation: Thursday, August 8, 2019 from 10 a.m. until noon at the East Betline location.
- Advanced standing Kickoff: June 6, 2019 from 1-4 p.m. at the College of Health and Human Services Room 4010.
- 60 Credit Hour MSW Kickoff : August 1, 2019 from 1-4 p.m. at the College of Health and Human Services Room 4010.
- BSW Orientation: September 20, 2019 from 12-3 p.m. at the College of Health and Human Services Room 4010.
- MSW Orientation: Wednesday, May 29, 2019 from 5:30pm-8:30 p.m. at the Southwest Campus.
- BSW Orientation: Wednesday, June 5, 2019 from 5:30pm-8:30 p.m. at the Southwest Campus.
prospective student events
Join us to learn more about the Master of Social Work (MSW) and Bachelor of Social Work (BSW) programs at Western Michigan University. For both programs, attendees will receive relevant information about our programs, our faculty research, and the unique qualities of WMU.