Congratulations on your admission to Western Michigan University! Here is a list of steps for first-year students to prepare for your enrollment at WMU.
As part of your next steps, we encourage you to register for a virtual Admitted Student Event and learn more about becoming a Bronco. These new virtual events for incoming first-year students will allow you to receive assistance completing your next steps, engage with WMU representatives and get your questions answered about joining the Bronco community.
ADMITTED STUDENT CHECKLIST
Confirm your admission
- Let us know that you plan to attend WMU by completing the Intent to Enroll form in the Gold Gateway.
- Send $100 Admission Confirmation Deposit, or request a deposit waiver, preferably before the May 1, 2021 deadline. This fee confirms your enrollment and is applied to your fall semester tuition. Visit our Admission Confirmation Deposit instruction website for more information. The admissions deposit, or an approved waiver, must be submitted prior to registering for orientation.
- Note that the admissions deposit is automatically waived for Pell Grant-eligible students (fafsa.gov) when you confirm your admission via the Intent to Enroll form in the Gold Gateway.
Set your Bronco NetID password and log in to GoWMU
You should have received a Bronco NetID and a temporary password via email from the Office of Information Technology. Your Bronco NetID is different from your WIN (Western Identification Number). Visit Change Password to set you set your Bronco NetID password. If you do not have your Bronco NetID and temporary password, please contact the Technology Help Desk at (269) 387-HELP or email email@example.com.
Log in to GoWMU to verify your new password.
- Be sure to check your WMU email regularly, as important University business -- such as your financial aid offer details -- will be sent there.
Sign up for orientation
- New student orientation registration begins in January for students enrolling fall semester.
Register for housing
- On-campus housing registration begins in January for students enrolling fall semester.
Complete your FAFSA and apply for scholarships
- The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) should be completed by March 1. If you have already submitted your FAFSA, it may not be reflected on your Gold Gateway checklist until January.
- Incoming first-year students are encouraged to review and apply for additional scholarships using WMU's scholarship-matching tool, ScholarshipUniverse, which students can log in to using their Bronco NetID and password. ScholarshipUniverse houses both institutional and external scholarships.
Once you register for classes, activate two-factor authentication
- First time registering for courses? The day after registration (which typically happens at orientation) you will be required to activate two-factor authentication (2FA) as part of the WMU Login process. Have your cell phone and Bronco NetID password ready. Learn more at wmich.edu/it/2FA.
Submit official test scores
- If you decide to enroll at WMU and chose to submit self-report scores, you must provide official test scores prior to new student orientation. See testing policy for details and review the ways to submit your scores.
Request your final high school transcript
- Transcripts should be sent from your high school to the WMU Admissions Office. Transcripts must be received 10 days before the beginning of the fall semester to avoid delays in financial aid disbursement and course registration. View methods to send transcripts on our website.
If you wish to cancel your admission, complete the cancellation form. The $100 enrollment deposit for fall semester will be refunded if the cancellation is received prior to the following dates:
Fall - May 1
Spring - December 1
Summer I - April 1
Summer II - June 1
Engage with WMU on social media
Join WMU, as well as other admitted students on social media, and share your excitement about becoming a Bronco using #FutureBronco!