If you plan to drive a motor vehicle while attending Western Michigan University, you will need to obtain a driver's license. If you are over 18 and are a licensed driver in your country, you can apply for a Michigan driver's license. You must go to the Secretary of State office. The office closest to campus is located at 317 South Drake Road. Make sure you have all the correct documentation before visiting a Secretary of State office. If you have any questions about what is required, call the Department of State Information Center at (888) SOS-MICH (767-6424). If you purchase a car in Michigan, you will need to register it with the Michigan Secretary of State and get a Michigan driver’s license to obtain car insurance, which is mandatory.


Students who have their own cars will need a permit to park on campus. Parking on campus can sometimes be difficult because there are a limited number of spaces available. For more information about parking regulations, facilities and permits, visit the Parking Services website.


Local bus service

Bus transportation is free to students on and off campus. Just show your WMU Bronco Card to any bus driver and ride on any route throughout the system.

Bronco Transit Bus Service—campus routes

Kalamazoo Metro Transit—Greater Kalamazoo area routes

Intercity bus transportation


Indian Trails


Amtrak offers daily trains from Kalamazoo to Chicago, Detroit, Pontiac and Port Huron. For information or to make reservations, call (800) 872-7245 or visit the Amtrak website.


Information for Michigan drivers

For the most up-to-date information, visit

Driver’s license and Michigan state ID

How to apply for driver's license and Michigan state ID

Losing your privilege to drive

Michigan motorcycle operator manual

Motorcycle training, testing, and licensing (including motorcycle endorsement)

What every driver must know