BACHELOR OF SCIENCE
"I can have an educated say in a lot that I do outside of what I'm required. The WMU internship taught me hard work and to be a sponge for knowledge."Brandon Harlin, BS '22, Read more about his internship with the NFL
This program is offered in-person.
The Department of Human Performance and Health Education's recreation program at Western Michigan University focuses on educating students about recreation and leisure leadership, program and service development, delivery, and management. The program offers a variety of courses, experiences and guidance that allow students to develop professional skills and competencies for professional careers in community, campus, outdoor, commercial, government or private settings. The program prepares WMU students to assume leadership and administrative roles in their chosen area of emphasis.
Why recreation program at Western Michigan University?
90% of 2020-21 WMU recreation management and sport management graduates were employed or continuing education within three months of graduation.
- Students are encouraged to pursue additional educational opportunities through one of our many excellent study abroad programs, such as Education and Human Development in India.
- All WMU programs offer an optional WMU Signature Designation, which helps students degrees stand out through an integrative learning project in one of several pathways including: Teaching & Student Success, Leadership, Health & Wellbeing, Diversity, Inclusion, Equity & Justice, and more!
Internship and Practicum
100% of recreation/sport management students complete an internship or field experience.
- Strength & Conditioning
- Cardiac Rehabilitation
- Health & Fitness Promotion
- Corporate Wellness
- Wellness Coach
- Personal Trainer
- Healthcare Professional after graduate degree
Cost & Funding
- College of Education and Human Development
- Academic Advising
- International Admissions and Services
- Office of Admissions
- Office of Military and Veterans Affairs
- Visit Campus