Proper design of your Western Michigan University mail piece can decrease your department costs, and expedite mail delivery free of surcharges. To assist you in your efforts, our mail design specialists can visit your department and help you properly design your mail piece.
- Contact the University mail center (269) 387-8812 or (269) 387-8817.
- The U.S. post office design expert can be reached at MDA@USPS.gov.
Departments designing and contracting an outside printer
All departments designing and contracting an outside printer to prepare and/or mail the mail piece, under the Western Michigan University permit number, must adhere to these guidelines.
- Send a copy of the mail piece withdepartment fund and cost for U.S. postage and special services form to the WMU mail center supervisor prior to the completion and mailing of the mail piece from the printer.
- Printing vendor must complete one copy of the postage statement (PS Form 3600-R or PS Form 3602-N) for the campus mail center. The fund and cost center must be written on the top of the form provided to the campus mail center. to ensure the design meets specifications to be mailed and proper funding cost is applied.
A machinable mailing will be eligible for further postage cost savings if it is sorted:
- Numerically in zip code order according to the U.S. post office L801, three digit automated area distribution center importation guide.
- Placed accordingly in labeled trays.
- Bulk mail postage statement filled out and finished.
IN HOUSE BULK MAILING
Bulk mailings can be coordinated in house by the University mail services. A mailing is considered a bulk mailing when it meets the following requirements:
- Bulk mailings must have at least 200 pieces.
- Mail pieces must be identical.
Mail submitted as a bulk mailing must be in zip code order.
Contact the mail center for specific information. After mail services receives the bulk mailing, paperwork is prepared, mail pieces are reviewed to ensure bulk mailing requirements are met and the mailing is sent to a third party. The third party sorts, barcodes, completes USPS paperwork and transports to USPS. There is a fee for this service.
Assistance with this type of importation order is available by calling your mail center at (269) 387-8812.