Surplus Disposal Process

The Western Michigan University Surplus Sales unit is responsible for the disposition of all University owned property, including items paid for with University funds or items donated to the University.  This involves arranging for and controlling the disposal of all University used and/or surplus equipment, including the disposal of all scrap materials.

Contact the Surplus department to dispose of any unused or unwanted item within your department that is the property of the University, with proper department approval, to ensure it does not end up in the landfill.

Grant Items

If you know or believe this request to include a Grant item, contact the Grants and Contracts department prior to completing this form.

Equipment pickup

Complete a Surplus Disposal Request with information regarding the item(s) and the freight team will pick the item(s) up at your convenience.

Items with Special Disposal Requirements

  • Electronics:  Departments are responsible for data removal from all electronic equipment prior to submitting a request for pick up.
  • Hazardous and/or Dangerous Substances:  WMU’s Environmental Health and Safety Department (387-5588) must be contacted regarding proper disposal of the following prior to submitting the surplus disposal form:
    • Items containing any suspected hazardous materials, which includes, but is not limited to, hazardous or toxic liquids, gas, powders, solids or any materials that may have a detrimental effect on the environment. 
    • Items including potentially dangerous components.
  • Radioactive Materials:  WMU's Radiation Safety Officer (387-5933) must be contacted for items including any radioactive materials.

WMU Surplus Sales will not assume any responsibility for items containing hazardous material after removal from department. 

Funds from Surplus Sales

If a department has a large lot of saleable items to dispose of, Surplus Sales will work with the department to determine if there are any reimbursement possibilities.