Hornline auditions for the Bronco Marching Band are conducted over the summer and can be conducted either in person or via video submission. All auditions must be submitted by 11:59 PM on Sunday, July 5th.
Auditions are available below. If you don't already, follow us on Facebook for updates regarding next year - the 100th season of the Bronco Marching Band! If you have any questions, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Hornline auditions for part selection are held on the second day of band camp. The auditions consist of brief excerpts of pregame music and a few scales. Memorization is not required but is recommended. More information about these auditions, including how to obtain the music, is included in the summer Mark Times newsletter that is mailed in July to students registered for the class.
WMU Bronco Marching Band: The 100th Season
Below you will find all the information regarding auditioning for the 2020-21 season of the Western Michigan University Bronco Marching Band. Please read all the information carefully, and make sure you follow all steps of the audition process completely. You will receive an audition confirmation e-mail upon completion of all the audition requirements.
For all potential new members of the hornline (Woodwinds and Brass), the audition procedure is as follows:
- Complete your audition via YouTube, DVD, or in person.
- Acceptance emails will be mailed to outstanding audition submissions. All acceptances will be emailed by July 15th, 2020.
- Auditions are open and accepted until July 5th, 2020.
Bronco Band Week
- August 25-September 1: Required for all new hornline members
Please read and download the woodwind and brass music requirements listed below on this page, and then click the appropriate box at the bottom of the page to begin your audition process.
MUSIC REQUIREMENTS FOR WOODWINDS AND BRASS
Incoming students may audition for the Bronco Marching Band via YouTube or in person. The audition consists of the following provided criteria:
- Scales as indicated
- Required lyrical exercise
- Required technical exercise
- Required Chorale exercise
- **Optional: Any other musical excerpt which demonstrates musicianship (Ex. All-State audition example, an excerpt from state solo contest, etc.)
The music for each instrument can be downloaded here. You can complete the audition on your concert band instrument (for example French Horn, Flute, or Tuba) or marching band instrument (Mellophone, Piccolo, or Sousaphone).
Note: If you would like to audition for more than one instrument, this process must be completed for each instrument. An exception is made for alto and tenor saxophone - you may indicate interest in playing either instrument on your audition video. Contact the Bronco Marching Band with all audition questions.
AUDITION SUBMISSION UPLOAD TO YOUTUBE
1. Find a quiet room without extraneous noise or potential distraction(s).
2. Use a video camera (the camera on most cell phones & tablets is adequate).
3. When recording:
o Clearly state your name, graduating high school, city, state, and instrument.
o State the excerpt you are performing (i.e. “Lyrical example").
o Record your performance of the required parts of the audition (all scales, exercises, and optional excerpt). Feel free to record multiple takes to get your best performances.
o You may upload each video independently, or use video editing software to combine your videos into one complete audition video.
4. When Uploading to YouTube:
o Title each video with your first and last name and the name of the excerpt you are playing.
o Upload as an “Unlisted” file so the video can be viewed, but will not be publicly searchable to the internet (Only people with a link can view).
5. Submit your audition by clicking the link below and completing the form with all current contact information and video links.
If you have any questions, please contact us before submitting your video link(s).