Frequently Asked Questions About Drumline

Many of the questions regarding participation in Western Michigan University Drumline are answered below. If you need additional information, please contact the department.

Specifically, what kind of sticks do the snares use?

We use Innovative Percussion FS-SG (Shane Gwaltney) model sticks.

How do I get music to practice?

You will be required to purchase the music in the form of our annual course packet. The cost of the packet is $20. Inside of the packet you will have all of the exercises and standard drumline repertoire.

How big is the drumline?

Our goal is seven to nine snares, four to five quads, seven to nine cymbals, and five to seven basses. Drumline spots are awarded to members based on playing, learning and marching ability.

Did you actually use tri-toms?

We did have a tri-tom line from 2002 to 2011. In 2001, we had 12 snares, 7 quads, 8 basses and 12 cymbals. We couldn’t make those lines any bigger, so we decided to add a tri-tom section. The voicing fit between the basses and quads.

Who can join the drumline?

The Bronco drumline is an ensemble-class in the School of Music open to students meeting the following criteria:

  • Successful completion of the audition procedure.
  • Official enrollment at Western Michigan University or admission to the Dual Enrollment program with a qualifying institution.

What if I don’t get offered a spot on my instrument of choice?

You can either choose to audition for another instrument or you may be offered a spot in our alternate program.

Do I have to be a music major to be in the drumline?

Membership in the marching band and the drumline is open to all interested students. Like all other band ensembles, marching band is an academic class taken for credit. All interested students are invited to auditions for the band. The majority of marching band members are from other academic disciplines.