Service Continuity Update (3/25/2020)
By now, you have received multiple communications from President Montgomery and our Provost, Dr. Jennifer Bott, regarding the university’s response to the COVID-19 outbreak. WMU remains open and the Physics Help Room is here to meet your Physics tutoring needs. Consultants offer tutoring sessions Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. (see the weekly schedule below for specific review session per class).
In alignment with courses being offered through distance education for the remainder of the semester, Physics Tutor Lab services will be offered from a distance as our staff works remotely during this time. You will be able to connect with Learning Assistants via email and Microsoft Teams.
A new Microsoft Teams channel has been created specifically to allow students to connect to tutors. You can access this by logging into https://wexchange.wmich.edu with your BroncoNet ID and password, clicking on the Teams app logo, then clicking on the following link: WMU Academic Support Hub. You may use the web app or download the Teams app to your computer.
You may call our office at 269-387-4940. Phone calls will be attended to in the order received.
Your success is our top priority and we will do our best to serve your needs. Thank you for your patience and be well!
Many resources are available to help students find success with physics coursework:
- Drop-in tutoring at the Bronco Study Zone.
- Private, paid tutoring with a physics graduate student. Students make fee, payment and scheduling arrangements directly with the tutor. Call the Department of Physics for a list of graduate students who offer tutoring services.
- College of Arts and Sciences Student Success Services
- Peer Academic Success Coaching
- The Writing Center
- Student email, best practices
Physics Help Room
The Bronco Study Zone, along with the Math Tutor Lab and Physics Help room, have begun offering distance tutors. A new Microsoft Teams channel has been created for you to connect with your coach. The name of the channel is WMU Academic Support Hub. Follow the steps below to log in and find the WMU Academic Support Hub in Teams. The physics help room will be operating out of the academic support hub start on March 23, 2020.
- Log in to Microsoft Teams
- In your web browser (Google Chrome recommended), go to https://wexchange.wmich.edu and log in - use YourBroncoNetID@wmich.edu and password. (It's important to include "@wmich.edu" after your Bronco NetID at this login.)
- Click on Teams app logo (it's blue-ish-purple) and Teams will open in a new browser tab.
- Click the gold button below to go to the WMU Academic Support Hub team. When you see the "Stay better connected..." message in your browser, click Use the web app instead. Click Join Now.
WMU Academic Support Hub
- You will automatically be in the "General" channel. In the left-side menu, click on the Ask for Help channel to state your tutoring need.
- Scroll to the bottom of the page where it says “start a new conversation”.
- Type your name and class you need tutoring on, like this: "I’m Buster B. I need help with CHEM 1100."
- Tutors will be monitoring this section and will respond to each student.
- Tutors will open a video chat with the student. When you receive the video chat notification, click Join Chat.
- Other students may be able to join this chat (at the tutor's discretion) if they need help with the same subject.
- During the video chat, you can hover over the icons in the middle of the page to unmute your microphone and turn on your camera. There are three dots where you can change your settings if you have problems hearing or issues with your camera.
Dissertation and Theses Help
The Graduate College website is a great resource. For specific information on dissertations and theses, the college has compiled a FAQ page that may prove helpful. The Graduate Center for Research and Retention is an innovative, one-of-a-kind center that provides individual mentoring, guidance, and advising support to graduate students in all fields. You may also wish to bookmark the events page to stay up-to-date.