Third-Party Payments

Western Michigan University (WMU) participates in Third-Party Billing to companies, embassies, or other organizations that have agreed to pay a student’s tuition and fees. Any student who is sponsored by a Third-Party must submit a letter of authorization on the company/organization letterhead or have the Third-Party complete the Third-Party Authorization for Payment form.   

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) prohibits an educational institution from releasing confidential, non-directory information about a student without the student's consent. The student must complete and sign a Student Information Release Authorization in order for information to be released to a Third Party. The specified information will be made available only if, and when requested by the authorized Third-Party.


A third-party sponsorship counts as a resource when calculating financial aid, which could reduce the amount of financial aid the student may be eligible for. Any financial aid you receive will first pay toward your outstanding balance for the term. Therefore, your third-party sponsorship could adjust or reduce your financial aid awards, even if your financial aid has already been paid. If you have any questions regarding the impact on your financial aid, please reach out to Bronco Express at (269) 387-6000 or email


Students for which a company, embassy, or other organization has agreed to pay all or a portion of the student’s tuition, meals, room, and/or fees that are not contingent upon a grade received by the student at the end of the term. 


Any student sponsored by a Third Party must submit a letter of authorization on the organization's letterhead, or complete WMU’s Third-Party Authorization form. Letters of authorization must include:
  1. Student's Name
  2. Western Identification Number (WIN #)
  3. Semester/Year(s) Covered
  4. Specific Classes Covered (or the amount or maximum credit hours they will pay)
  5. Address and Phone Number of the Third-Party Payer
The letter of authorization or completed Third-Party Authorization form should be submitted to: Western Michigan University, Accounts Receivable, 1903 W Michigan Ave, Kalamazoo, MI 49008-5210, fax the form to (269) 387-4227, or email the form to   We strongly recommend emailing the authorization forms to ensure receipt.

Any charges not authorized by the Third Party are the responsibility of the student and must be paid by the semester due date.  Accounts Receivable will send an invoice to the Third-Party after the last day to drop/add classes. Payment from the third party is due upon receipt of the invoice. Any authorized or non-authorized charges not paid for by the third party will be the responsibility of the student.  Any outstanding charges may result in a hold being placed on the student’s account, which may prevent the student from registering for classes. Third-party payments not received as invoiced may result in service charges of 1.5% monthly (18% annually) on the student’s account.


To avoid incurring service charges of 1.5% monthly (18% annually), students are strongly encouraged to ensure that all third-party authorizations are submitted as far in advance of the tuition due date as possible.

529 cOLLEGE saving pLANS

Students with 529 College Savings Plans should contact their plan administrators for information on making withdrawals as far in advance of the tuition due date as possible.  

Michigan Education Trust (MET)

Students with MET contracts should initially contact MET at (800) 638-4543 and inform MET that Western Michigan University is their school of choice. Western Michigan University will bill MET after the semester drop/add date. Students must have their Social Security Number on file with WMU in order to bill MET. Students are responsible for all tuition and fees not covered by the contract. MET generally covers tuition and mandatory fees only.

Other State Prepaid Programs

Western Michigan University participates with several other state prepaid programs such as the College of Illinois and Florida Prepaid.  Students should contact their plan administrator to inform them that Western Michigan University is their school of choice.

Third-party payment options

Third Party sponsors should issue checks to Western Michigan University and mail them to:
Accounts Receivable - Third-Party Billing
Western Michigan University
1903 W Michigan Ave
Kalamazoo, MI 49008-5282
Please include the student’s name and Western Identification Number (WIN) on all checks.  Western Michigan University is not able to accept ACH transfers from business accounts.  ACH transfers from 529 plans will not be successful.

Additional Questions

Please contact the Accounts Receivable Office at (269) 387-4141 or via email at