Third-Party Billing

Western Michigan University directly invoices companies, embassies, or other organizations for students who provide proper authorization for payment. Any student sponsored by a Third Party must submit a letter of authorization on the organization's letterhead, or complete WMU’s third-party authorization form. Authorization forms must include:

  1. Student's Name
  2. Western Identification Number (WIN #)
  3. Semester/Year(s) Covered
  4. Specific Classes Covered (or the amount or maximum credit hours they will pay)
  5. Address and Phone Number of the third-party payer

The letter of authorization must be received no later than three weeks prior to the start of the semester. Please send your authorization to Accounts Receivable, Western Michigan University, 1903 West Michigan Avenue, Kalamazoo, MI 49008-5210, or email the form to

Accounts Receivable will send an invoice to the Third Party after the drop/add period. Payment from the third party is due upon receipt of the invoice and is not contingent upon the student successfully completing the course. All authorized and non-authorized charges not paid for by the Third Party as invoiced will be the responsibility of the student and due by the semester due dates. These outstanding charges may result in a hold being placed on the student's account, which may prevent the student from registering for classes. Third-party payments not received as invoiced may result in late payment charges of 1.5% monthly (18% annually) on the student's account.


Please call (269) 387-4141 with questions about third-party billing arrangements.