Western Michigan University’s Michigan Geological Repository for Research and Education facilitates basic and applied geological research, trains students for geoscience careers and promotes educational outreach.
Although primarily focused on Michigan's energy, natural resources and environment, MGRRE's activities also relate to general geology and Great Lakes issues. Educational aspects of natural resource utilization and management are addressed at the K-16, post-graduate, professional and general public levels.
MGRRE’s primary focus area is on the state of Michigan; this focus also encompasses a national and international sphere of interest.
MGRRE is committed to preserving and researching the collections of cores, samples and data that are maintained at its facility; these collections are also used for educational purposes. These materials comprise the largest and most diverse collections of Michigan subsurface geological samples and data.
- Train the next generation of geoscientists through providing student-centered learning experiences with industry partners.
- Acquire and preserve geological cores, samples and well data to be used in education and research for both current and future generations.
- Establish and maintain academic and industry partnerships to research Michigan’s underground formations and develop test sites to evaluate and implement geological carbon sequestration.
- Conduct research to help implement new technologies and field demonstrations to increase domestic energy production and sequester CO2.
- Conduct research to better understand Michigan Basin geological formations as they relate to global geological processes.
- Assemble current and comprehensive data about groundwater aquifers.
- Produce detailed geologic maps of surface and shallow geological materials and structures.
- Increase domestic oil and gas recovery through new technologies and field demonstration sites with industry partners.
- Develop classroom programs with backyard geology modules to motivate and educate K-12 students.
- Implement professional and public outreach programs to explain the science and benefits of technological advances in energy recovery and CO2 capture and storage.