MichCarb's mission is to establish a geological carbon sequestration resource center for Michigan within the Michigan Geological Repository for Research and Education, part of the Department of Geological and Environmental Sciences at Western Michigan University. This resource center is tasked with evaluating the potential for mitigating carbon dioxide emissions from industrial point sources through carbon capture and geological sequestration in Michigan. Along with addressing the dual challenges of global climate change and energy security, MichCarb's mission also includes helping citizens, government officials and industry members better understand not only the science behind geological carbon sequestration, but also its practicality and safety. In order to stay true to its mission, MichCarb has established five main objectives.
- Create a data archive and resource center at MGRRE.
- Conduct technical research on CO2 sequestration and enhanced oil recovery.
- Conduct geologic and fluid flow modeling to evaluate site specific use of geologic carbon sequestration and enhanced oil recovery.
- Affect technology transfer to members of industry and governmental agencies.
- Create a geological carbon sequestration outreach and education center for Michigan at MGRRE.