Graduate Assistantships

School of Music graduate assistants' responsibilities range from teaching in private studios or lab sections of larger classes, to assisting with accompanying, coordinating, performing, grading, maintaining equipment, and/or supervising. Minimum qualifications include a Bachelor of Music degree (or its equivalent), acceptance for Regular Admission into Western Michigan University (based on undergraduate GPA of 3.0 or above), and admission to the School of Music and a specific Master of Music degree program.

Deadline: February 1

  1. Complete a Graduate Admissions Application to Western Michigan University. 
  2. Submit the names and contact information for three letters of recommendation as part of your university application. Your recommenders will be automatically notified, and their recommendations will be attached to your WMU application.
  3. Review the Graduate Assistant Positions posted below to determine the one which bests meets your qualifications and interest. Please note that not all positions are available every year. Contact the appropriate faculty member for more detailed information about the position and its availability.
  4. Submit a Graduate Music Application form by going to the the following website: ShopWMU Music Admissions Store. After submitting your payment, you will be sent an email receipt with a direct link to the application form.  Please be specific about all of your qualifications and prior experience, not just those in your primary area of interest. Most assistantship loads are a combination of studio duties and classroom assignments in other areas (e.g., music education, music theory, etc.).

Graduate Assistant Positions

Brass & Percussion:


Jazz Studies:

Keyboard & Voice:



Academic & Professional:

Scholarships and grants in music are awarded each year by the School of Music. These awards are made on the basis of musical talent and/or scholastic achievement and are separate from graduate assistantships. Please contact the appropriate faculty member in your area to inquire about scholarship possibilities. Also visit the following Graduate College web pages for additional university-wide information:

For questions about Graduate Studies, contact Dr. David Loberg Code, Graduate Coordinator, at or (269) 387-4675.