Undergraduate: How to apply
- WMU Application: Submit a general application to Western Michigan University: wmich.edu/apply.
Within the university application, after selecting a major, please use the "Fine Arts Interest Area" to indicate your primary instrument or specialization within Music. If you are considering more than one major within Music, you still need only one (1) WMU application.
- Music Application: All prospective undergraduate students must attend a New Student Admission Day. To register for a specific date, you must submit a Music Application Form in which you will be asked to provide detailed information about your preferred major and musical background. If you wish to apply for more than one major within Music, you should submit separate Music Applications for each (since you will be prompted for different information).
- Video/Portfolio Submission: All applicants will be required to submit an audition video and/or interview portfolio (depending on your degree) which is due at least one week before your scheduled NSAD.
- For spring 2022 admission
Friday, Nov. 5, 2021
- For fall 2022 admission
Saturday, Jan. 22, 2022
Friday, Feb. 4, 2022
Friday, Feb. 18, 2022
To guarantee a place on the schedule, applications must be received at least 2 weeks before your desired NSAD date. No changes will be made within 7 days of a given NSAD.
Before you can be admitted to any music program (BA, BMA, BM or BS), you must complete our audition/interview and testing program at one of the dates indicated above. This is a full-day event which is currently scheduled to take place on campus in person. For most degrees, you will be required to submit a video and/or portfolio due at least a week before NSAD, and then will have live, in-person events on the specific date. (If health conditions change, we will return to virtual NSAD events.) For more specific information about the admissions requirements for your major, see Academics / Undergraduate and Admissions Requirements. You must audition and/or interview in November, January, February, or March to ensure entrance and scholarship consideration. Programs and studios are limited in the number of students that may be accepted. Admission is highly competitive. Students may apply a maximum of two times for any program or studio.
Graduate: How to apply
- WMU Application: Complete a Graduate Admissions Application to Western Michigan University. For general information about WMU's Graduate College, visit the Future Students website. International students should begin at the International Admissions and Services website.
- Music Application: There is a separate Graduate Music and Assistantship Application form due by December 1 for conducting applicants and by February 1 for other degrees. If you would like to be considered for a Graduate Assistantship, please indicate this on the form.
- Audition/Interview/Portfolio: Within the School of Music, you will be required to complete an audition and/or submit a portfolio of documents as appropriate to your intended degree and area of concentration. These should be arranged by the applicant with the appropriate faculty member from your intended area of study.
Currently, all admission events will be held online. When we are able to resume on-campus events, in the unlikely event that weather forces WMU to close, School of Music auditions will need to be canceled. Information on the University's status may be found at www.wmich.edu or by calling (269) 387-1001. Information on the status of School of Music auditions will be available at (269) 387-4672.
For questions regarding Undergraduate admissions contact the Music Undergraduate Advisor, email@example.com, (269) 387-4672.
For questions regarding Graduate admissions contact the Music Graduate Coordinator, firstname.lastname@example.org or (269) 387-4672.