How to apply
- WMU Application: Submit a general application to Western Michigan University: wmich.edu/apply.
Within the university application, after selecting a major, please use the "Fine Arts Interest Area" to indicate your primary instrument or specialization within Music. If you are considering more than one major in Music, you still need only one WMU application.
- Music Application: All prospective undergraduate students must attend a New Student Admission Day. To register for a specific date, you must submit a Music Application Form in which you will be asked to provide detailed information about your preferred major and musical background. If you wish to apply for more than one major within Music, you should submit separate Music Applications for each (since you will be prompted for different information). Applicants who live more than 300 miles from Kalamazoo and are unable to attend in person, should select our virtual event on February 24.
New Student Admission Days
- For spring 2023 admission
Friday, Nov. 4, 2022
- For fall 2023 admission
Friday, Jan. 27, 2023 (on campus)
Saturday, Feb. 4, 2023 (on campus)
Friday, Feb. 17, 2023 (on campus)
Friday, Feb. 24, 2023 (virtual)
To guarantee a place on the schedule, applications must be received at least 2 weeks before your desired NSAD date. Changes may not be possible within 7 days of a given NSAD.
Before you can be admitted to any music program (BA, BMA, BM or BS), you must complete our audition/interview and testing program on one of the dates indicated above. This is a full-day event that takes place in person at the School of Music on the WMU campus, except for the February 24 online audition option. For more specific information about the admissions requirements for your major, see Academics / Undergraduate and Admissions Requirements. Auditions in November, January, or February afford the best chances for entrance and scholarship consideration, though late applications will be evaluated in special circumstances. Students may apply a maximum of two times for any program or studio.
Graduate: How to apply
- WMU Application: Complete a Graduate Admissions Application to Western Michigan University. For general information about WMU's Graduate College, visit the Future Students website. International students should begin at the International Admissions and Services website.
- Music Application: There is a separate Graduate Music and Assistantship Application form due by December 1 for conducting applicants and by February 1 for other degrees. If you would like to be considered for a Graduate Assistantship, please indicate this on the form.
- Audition/Interview/Portfolio: Within the School of Music, you will be required to complete an audition and/or submit a portfolio of documents as appropriate to your intended degree and area of concentration. These should be arranged by the applicant with the appropriate faculty member from your intended area of study.
All admission events will be held in person, except for an online NSAD on February 24. In the unlikely event that weather forces WMU to close, the School of Music auditions will also be canceled. Information on the University's status may be found at www.wmich.edu or by calling (269) 387-1001. Information on the status of School of Music auditions will be available at (269) 387-4672.
For questions regarding Undergraduate admissions contact Destiny Wallace, Music Undergraduate Advisor, firstname.lastname@example.org, (269) 387-4672.
For questions regarding Graduate admissions contact Dr. Cristina Fava, Music Graduate Coordinator, email@example.com or (269) 387-4672.