Tax Information

WMU Employees may add and change tax withholding information directly through Employee Self Service. Click below to login to Employee Self-Service to enter your information securely.

New WMU Employees

All new Western Michigan University employees are automatically added to the Payroll System with a marital status of single. If this is how you want to be taxed for both federal and state income taxes then you do not need to do anything. If you want to change your marital status, number of dependents, or have an additional amount of tax withheld you may do so online through Employee Self Service. Please contact (269) 387-2935 or email with questions.

  • To make the changes please use Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Microsoft Edge as your web browser.
  • You must have Adobe Acrobat Reader downloaded to your PC in order to submit the form electronically. You can download the free software by visiting Adobe's website:

The Internal Revenue Service issues new tax withholding tables each year and can be found at their Web site.


Changing your W4 Tax Withholding information

Employees may change their information at anytime. Elections such as:

  • Claim exempt.
  • Indicate additional amounts to be withheld.
  • Marital status.
  • Number of dependents
  • Other income
  • Deductions

All tax withholding documents should be electronically submitted through Employee Self-Service. A step by step tutorial is below to assist you. 

Please note: Non-resident and employees here on a F-1 or J-1 visa should not use this process and should stop in to Payroll for possible tax treaty advantages.



Editing YOUR Tax Withholding Information