The Department of Political Science at Western Michigan University offers a concentration in public policy.
Who is this major for?
- Do you care about issues that affect people in US communities, states and across the country – issues like healthcare, poverty and income inequality, clean air and water, the environment, and the economy?
- Do you want to help address these concerns by working in a government agency, non-profit organization, or private firm?
- Thinking about pursuing a graduate degree in public policy, public management, political science, law, communications, or urban planning?
Then this major is for you!
Faculty in American public policy hold Ph.D.s in political science, as well as professional degrees in urban planning, law and forest resource policy. They include recipients of grants and awards from the National Science Foundation, Fulbright Commission, and IBM Center for the Business of Government. Several have held practicing positions with local and federal public agencies, law firms and federal government contractors.
The Department of Political Science offers undergraduate internships in Kalamazoo, Lansing and Washington D.C.
Have you filled out a profile at the Bronco Jobs website? Go to Bronco Jobs and click on New User Registration. Fill out a profile and regularly check to see if you have any matches for job listings.
- Local Government Jobs – in Michigan provided by the Michigan Municipal League
- International City/County Management Association – local government positions
- State of Michigan – state government positions
- USA Jobs – federal government's official job positing site
- Federal Government – one stop shop for how to find and apply for federal government jobs
- Roll Call – job postings are searchable by category including: government relations, legislative, policy, political, and research
- Simply Hired – a job search tailored for you
- Indeed – general job search
WMU public policy graduates often choose to go directly from college into professional positions in:
- local, state and federal government
- non-profit organizations
- political advocacy
- campaign management
- law firms and other private businesses
For example, recent graduates work at:
- Kinexus in Benton Harbor
- Southeast Michigan Council of Governments
- Baton Rouge Chamber of Commerce
- PlugShare in California
- Michigan House and Senate
- US House and Senate, Michigan DEQ
- Habitat for Humanity
- Gryphon Place
- Dwight Eisenhower Memorial Commission
- Spectrum Health
- Jewish Federation of Ann Arbor
Additional information on this concentration can be found in the WMU catalog.