The budget is the translation of the work plan into dollars and cents. Preparing a budget can be very complex and should be started early in the grant process to avoid problems. Consult a research program officer for assistance.
The following spreadsheets will be a great help in creating a budget. Be sure to:
- Work with the current academic year template so data is correct.
- View the tabs along the bottom on the worksheet for pertinent information and rates.
- If the existing budget was prepared in an old template, contact a research program officer to convert to the current rates or adjust the formulas.
Note: Cost share is only considered when required by the sponsor.
Important links for budget information
- How Facilities & Administrative Costs affects science and research
- Fringe rate letter current copy at Accounting Services Forms
- Facilities and administrative rate letter (2015-21)
- What are facilities and administrative costs?
- Requesting a F&A Rate Waiver Procedure
- Request a F&A Rate Waiver Form
- Guidance Regarding On and Off Campus Facilities and Administrative Rates Procedure
- Understanding the Costs of Federally Sponsored Research at Universities
- Graduate student appointment rates—Some detailed appointment information requires sign-in to the WMU grad share.
- Hiring students
- Research staff policy and pay rates
- Travel GSA per diem rates—These are needed to comply with WMU travel policy.