The Spanish major at Western Michigan University is a language, literature and culture program leading to a Bachelor of Arts degree from the College of Arts and Sciences. Basic coursework covers fundamental, intermediate and advanced Spanish language as well as Spanish culture, Spanish-America, Hispanics in the United States, literature and linguistics. To round out your program, you will choose electives with the help of your advisor. Interested students can follow the "pathway for future educators" in the major, to prepare for certification to teach Spanish at the middle and high school levels.
We are pleased that you are considering undergraduate study at Western Michigan University. The WMU Office of Admissions website has important information that you need to know in order to apply for undergraduate admission.
- SPAN 4400 provides students with a valuable opportunity to utilize and improve their Spanish language skills through internship or service experience in the Kalamazoo community.
The department encourages students to study abroad.
- Refer to the catalog year for your specific program.
- Online placement exam and monitored test-out exams are required before enrolling in any Spanish course above SPAN 1000.
- Spanish majors must satisfy WMU's baccalaureate writing requirement by successfully completing Hispanic Literature in English Translation World Literature in English Translation (LANG 3750).
- Only courses in which a grade of C or better is obtained will be counted toward a Spanish major or minor.
Scholarships and awards
Undergraduate students may apply for scholarships and awards with the department and outside of the department.