Students applying for the Western Michigan University program at the Universidad de Cantabria must:
- Be at least 18 years old at time of application.
- Have sophomore standing (26 completed credit hour minimum) by end of spring semester.
- Have completed SPAN 3160 prior to the beginning of the program (students who have taken SPAN 3170 but not SPAN 3160 may apply as exception).
- Have a 3.0 (B) grade point average in Spanish courses (at least one Spanish course must have been completed at WMU).
- Have good overall academic standing.
- Speak only Spanish while they are in Spain, both in class and out (preference for admission will be given to students with strong academic records and high levels of Spanish language competence).
- Read the Santander program description and application information thoroughly.
- The application consists of:
- The online application
- A brief Statement of Purpose (essay) and letters of recommendation (both are part of the online application process)
- All written forms should be submitted directly to the program director.
- The fall application phase begins in mid-September. A second application phase will take place during the following spring semester if all positions are not filled during the fall phase. Early application is encouraged and appreciated.
- A student accepted for admission will be requested to complete additional necessary information, including a permission/release form and a health/physician's form. A program deposit of $500 may be charged to the student's account soon after acceptance. Students will receive instructions for payment of the program balance.
- Students will be required to attend orientation meetings conducted on campus by the WMU faculty director.
- Passport: Students who receive acceptance into the program should apply immediately for a passport if they do not already have one. Students who already have a passport should verify that it is valid at least six months beyond the final date of this program. No visa is required.