The Department of Spanish at Western Michigan University is very supportive of students' efforts to study abroad. Faculty place a high priority on mastery of the Spanish language and the acquisition of cultural insights gained during residence in Spanish-speaking countries.
It is expected that before graduation, all Ph.D. students will spend at least six months in residence or study in a Spanish-speaking country. Many students will have fulfilled this expectation as undergraduates, but they are urged to seek additional opportunities to study abroad. WMU has exchange agreements with the:
- Universidad de Burgos in Burgos, Spain
- Universidad de Querétaro in Querétaro, Mexico
- Universidad de Cantabria in Santander, Spain
Many graduate students are eligible for scholarships offered at these institutions. Graduate students are also eligible for a President's Grant for Study Abroad awarded by the University, as well as certain departmental scholarships. There is no graduate study abroad program scheduled for 2018.
Study abroad advisor
Study abroad program directors
- Dr. Pablo Pastrana-Pérez—Burgos, Spain
- Dr. Germán Zárate-Sández—Quito, Ecuador
- Dr. Mariola Pérez de la Cruz—Santander, Spain