College of Arts and Sciences Study Abroad
Be inspired and curious about the world around you, and become globally engaged while at WMU. In a typical year we offer several faculty-led programs for you to choose from. Whatever your major, WMU College of Arts and Sciences has an opportunity for you to gain life-changing study abroad experience while pursuing your undergraduate degree.
Not all classrooms have four walls — travel the world with global engagement opportunities in every field. With 60+ study abroad programs for arts and sciences majors in 30 countries, you will gain the opportunity of a lifetime to travel, experience life, and immerse yourself in another culture.
Study Abroad Photo Contest
The College of Arts and Sciences Study Abroad Photo Contest is back—submit your 2022-23 photo for a chance to win a $1000 scholarship!
STUDY ABROAD PROGRAM ADVISING
Contact a study abroad specialist to discuss how studying abroad can benefit your academic and professional goals.
I'VE BEEN ACCEPTED TO STUDY ABROAD, NOW WHAT?
College of Arts and Sciences students need to have study abroad courses pre-approved for use in your WMU degree.
Obtain course approval
- Obtain a blue course approval form from your study abroad advisor.
- Gather course descriptions for more courses than you anticipate registering for so you already have pre-approvals for back-up courses if you are not able to enroll in your preferred courses.
- If you wish to use a course for either a major or minor and in your general education, you need to have it evaluated by your major/minor advisor prior to visiting the CAS advising office for general education approval.
- If you find other courses that interest you upon arrival at your study abroad location, you may still have these courses approved. You will need to email the course descriptions to the appropriate advisor from your WMU email account to request the additional approvals. Please copy your study abroad advisor on this email.
Schedule an appointment
- Schedule an appointment to meet with the appropriate advisor for course approvals. Take your blue course approval form to each of your advising appointments.
Prepare for your trip
Study abroad: Funding; health and safety; pre-departure information; returning to campus
Financial aid is often available to defray some of the costs of studying abroad. Students may apply for scholarship funding to make this life-changing opportunity more affordable.
STUDY ABROAD PHOTO CONTEST
Check out the College of Arts and Sciences Study Abroad Photo Contest for a chance to win a scholarship of up to $1,000!
ADDITIONAL PROGRAM INFORMATION
- The Department of World Languages and Literatures offers study abroad programs in Arabic, Chinese, French, German, Italian and Japanese. They also offer travel awards to support studying abroad.
- The Department of Spanish offers study abroad programs in Burgos, Spain; Heredia, Costa Rica; Santander, Spain; Quito, Ecuador. They also offer travel awards to support studying abroad.
- The Department of Political Science offers opportunities to study political science abroad.
- The Department of Comparative Religion offers a Japanese Religion and Culture Seminar every other year.