Learn more about recent news in the College of Arts and Sciences at Western Michigan University.
Submit your news items online to the College of Arts and Sciences.
College of Arts and Sciences
- WMU among recipients of nearly $1M NSF grant to boost women in STEM fields
- Beloved WMU religion and society professor, Dr. Rudolf Siebert, retires after a more than five-decade career; WMU holding conference in his honor
- Nic Witschi selected as new acting associate dean in the College of Arts and Sciences
- Three ideas from Arts and Sciences faculty were selected in second phase of NSF Big Idea competition
Work by WMU may reduce US dependency on China for critical minerals
Michigan has minerals America needs
- WMU Department of Geography received the 2019 M.S./M.A. Program Excellence Award from the American Association of Geographers
- Dr. Carla Koretsky spoke with WoodTV 8 about the sharing of a nearly one million-dollar NSF grant to find ways to encourage more women to teach in STEM fields
- Dr. Elena Litvinova, associate professor of physics, was awarded the WMU Emerging Scholar Award
- Drs. Matthew Mingus, professor of public administration and director of the graduate programs, and Leah Omilion-Hodges, associate professor of communication, were honored as recipients of WMU's 2019 Distinguished Teaching Awards
- Dr. Brian Wilson, professor comparative religion, received WMU's 2019 Distinguished Faculty Scholar Award
- Dr. Wei-Chiao Huang, department chair and professor of economics, was awarded WMU's 2019 Distinguished Service Award
- Dr. Hedy Habra published a new poetry collection entitled "The Taste of the Earth"
- Dr. Ann Miles elected as new director of the University Center for the Humanities
- Dr. Lewis Pyenson awarded Life Membership in Royal Society of Canada
- Dr. Carla Koretsky and Dr. Terri Goss Kinzy recognized as 2019 Notable Women in STEM by Crain’s Detroit Business
- Dr. James Cousins named American Council on Education Fellow for the 2019-20 academic year
- Dr. Christine Byrd-Jacobs selected as interim dean of the Grad College
- Dr. Kirk Korista chimes in on black hole discovery
Students, researchers dig deeper into history of Fort St. Joseph
- Arts and Sciences students receive top honor from Michigan Public Relations Society of America
- Sociology major Jacob Riccioni was accepted to American Sociological Association (ASA) Honors Program
- WMU alumni create educational opportunities for Kalamazoo refugees
- Monica Orsolini (B.S.’85; M.A. ‘14) was recently nominated an Unsung Hero
Sign up to receive our newsletters
To receive information via email, update your contact information.