Learn more about recent news in the College of Arts and Sciences at Western Michigan University.
Submit your news items online to the College of Arts and Sciences.
College of Arts and Sciences
- WMU is part of a nearly one million-dollar NSF grant to find ways to encourage more women to teach in STEM fields
- Another year of excitement and change has taken place at the Kalamazoo Autism Center
- WMU joins national alliance aimed at developing more inclusive and diverse STEM faculty
- WMU program promotes support in securing gainful employment
WMU launches new effort to advance climate commitment
- Bringing Japanese religion and culture to career
- Beginning spring of 2020, Dunbar Hall will be fully renovated to accommodate students and campus. Renovations will be completed by Fall 2022.
- Dino Park makes its mark at WMU
- Dr. Ron Van Houten, professor of psychology, is garnering national attention with his pedestrian traffic safety research—and saving lives in the process
- Distinguished professor, Dr. Chansheng He, was named a 2019 AAAS Fellow
- Drs. Whitney and Elise DeCamp uncover racial bias in jury selection
- The Michigan Council of Teachers of English has named Dr. Jonathan Bush the 2019 recipient of the Charles Carpenter Fries Award
- Dr. Kathleen Baker guides organizations decisions through spatial data and analysis
- The sky is the only limit; Dr. Mine Dogan brings low frequency electromagnetic sensor system to WMU
- Dr. Angela Moe and Sunny, the therapy dog, provide healing comfort wherever their services are needed
- Dr. Anthony DeFulio will lead the research into opioid addiction and recovery using smartphone applications
- Three undergraduate Arts and Sciences students have won scholarships in support of their studies overseas through the college’s Study Abroad Photo Contest
- Film studies student Tirrea Billings has created her own docu-style storytelling company, Reflct Media, to bring social issues to light
- Three students, including English student Cate Troost, are among students worldwide who have been named University Innovation Fellows by Stanford University's Hasso Plattner Institute of Design.
- Lauren LaLonde travels far and wide, participating in numerous study abroad programs
- Twenty-two freshmen were inducted into the elite Medallion Scholars program at Western Michigan University. Nearly a quarter are from the College of Arts and Sciences.
- Sustainable brewing student Ellie Maddelein earns second scholarship
- A bird's eye view of Michigan's interdunal wetlands
- Mark Schermerhorn, from Waldo Library to the Library of Congress
- Having been appointed United States Advisory Council on Human Trafficking, WMU alumna Bella Hounakey is on the frontlines of combatting human trafficking nationwide
- Jeri Meola (M.A., psychology) inducted into Minnesota Women Business Owners Hall of Fame
- WMU alumna, Stephanie Hampton, named 2019 English teacher of the year
- Finding fortune: WMU alumni Roger Steininger unearths some of the world’s most significant gold and mineral discoveries
- WMU alumni, Jeremy Goldman, Neena Marion and Ann Feldmeier, create educational opportunities for Kalamazoo refugees
- Monica Orsolini (B.S.’85, M.A. ‘14) was recently nominated an Unsung Hero
Sign up to receive our newsletters
To receive information via email, update your contact information.