The Department of Spanish at Western Michigan University offers scholarships and awards to assist students in developing their Spanish language skills through continuing coursework and study abroad.
Departmental awards requiring application
Online Scholarship Application for:
All Department of Spanish scholarships require the same application form.
Application deadlines for all scholarships are Oct. 29, 2022 and Feb. 22, 2023 (deadlines each year are in Oct. and Feb.)
- Department of Spanish Travel Study Abroad Award
- President's Award for Study Abroad and President's Scholarships for Study Abroad
- Ruth Y. Kirby Scholarships
- Antonia H. Rostami Scholarships
- Suzanne M. Wheatley Scholarships
- Spanish Advancement Scholarships
Review the scholarship criteria and submit the online scholarship application by the deadline. Students will be notified by phone or WMU email to arrange an interview with the scholarship committee if their application is accepted.
Scholarships and awards not requiring application
Recipients are selected by Department of Spanish faculty on the basis of academic excellence and dedication to Spanish language study.
Mathilde Steckelberg Scholarship: One award each in Classics, French, German and Spanish of approximately $500 each is awarded during spring semester.
- Herb B. Jones Scholarship: This award is approximately $500 and honors the beloved section head and professor of Spanish at WMU. It is awarded during spring semester.
- Jeremy Sayles Award in Spanish and Business: This scholarship of $500 is for students of Spanish and business in support of their study abroad program. Awarded during spring semester thanks to the generosity of WMU Spanish alumnus Jeremy Sayles.
- Lori Beth Pattison Scholarship for Literature: This scholarship of $1500 honors WMU Spanish graduate and professor of Spanish Lori Beth Pattison and is awarded during spring semester.
- Suzanne M. Wheatley Scholarship: This scholarship of up to $1500 honors the memory of WMU Spanish student Suzie Wheatley, who attended WMU from 1985 to 1988, and is awarded during the spring semester to a student or students who embody some of her remarkable qualities, such as her love for the Spanish language and Hispanic cultures and her zest for life.
- Carolyn Harris Award: This award was established in memory of Dr. Carolyn Harris, who was a professor and undergraduate advisor in the Department of Spanish from 1985 to 2014. It is awarded to an undergraduate student who embodies some of Carolyn's outstanding qualities of generosity, kindness, service orientation, and being passionate about what they do.
- Michael Braun Award: This award was established in memory of Professor Michael Braun, who was a WMU Spanish graduate and professor who inspired and advised many students to become Spanish teachers. It is awarded to an undergraduate student who shares Michael's passion for teaching and plans to become an educator.
Other annual department awards
- Department Presidential Scholar
- Premio Octavio Paz
- Premio Jorge Luis Borges
- Premio Joan Coromines
- Premio Rosalía de Castro
- Premio Inca Garcilaso de la Vega
- Premio Miguel de Cervantes
- Premio María Moliner
- Premio Alfonso X el Sabio
- Premio Sor Juana Inés de la Cruz
- Premio Antonio de Nebrija
- Premio Rubén Darío
Non-departmental undergraduate scholarships and awards
- Arts and Sciences International Study Scholarships
- The President's Grant for Study Abroad
- Gilman International Scholarship Program
- Lee Honors College Scholarships
- Global Ambassadors Scholarships
Additional scholarship information is available from:
- Professor Michael Millar, scholarship advisor