The Jeremy Sayles Award in Business and Spanish is for students of Western Michigan University with a major or minor in Spanish and a major or minor in business. Sayles graduated in 1996 with double majors in Spanish and business administration. He also holds a master’s degree in business administration from New York University’s Stern School of Business. While at Western, Sayles was one of six students chosen for the inaugural study abroad program in Queretaro, Mexico in 1995.
Sayles has had a successful professional career in marketing with more than 14 years of experience with leading Fortune 500 and global companies and has led multi-million dollar brand positioning and promotional efforts. He is currently senior marketing manager (based in Madison, N.J.) for Pfizer Consumer Healthcare.
Description of award
- One award of $500 will be granted to undergraduate students of Spanish who participate in a study abroad program in a Spanish-speaking country. Awards may be used for summer programs, one-semester.
To be eligible, you must:
- Be currently enrolled in WMU and have a declared major or minor in Spanish and a major or minor in business.
- Have completed at WMU at least one 3000-level course in Spanish prior to the semester of application and must complete at least two additional 3000-level courses in Spanish at WMU by the end of the semester of application.
- Have a minimum 3.00 GPA overall and a 3.25 GPA in Spanish.
- Demonstrate a financial need.
- Enroll in a study abroad program where credits are transferable to WMU. The program must be approved by the Spanish faculty advisor for study abroad. You are encouraged to select a program which will allow you to live with a family.
- If awarded, complete at least one 5000-level Spanish course at WMU after returning from study abroad.
- Demonstrated academic achievement in Spanish
- Demonstrated overall academic achievement
- There is no application process for the scholarship. Faculty from the Department of Spanish will nominate candidates for the award, and the recipient will be honored during the Department of Spanish’s Honors and Awards Ceremony in the spring.
- Results of the award competition will be announced during spring semester.
- Funds for study abroad will be made available to the recipient as soon as possible after final acceptance into a previously approved study abroad program. Awards are to be used during the following calendar year.