Graduate Program Admission

Group of female graduate students

To apply for admission into the Master of Arts of communication program at Western Michigan University, follow the steps below. The School of Communication accepts both part-time and full-time graduate students.


  • You must have completed undergraduate work in communication, speech or allied disciplines and have achieved at least a 3.0 grade point average in your last two years of course work. If you have not completed undergraduate work in communication, you may still apply but may need to complete additional course requirements.
  • Additional course work may be required at the time of admission into the program, as deemed necessary by the graduate director.
  • Some course credits from other programs of study or from another universities may count towards a degree from the School of Communication. Check by emailing

Application process

Western Michigan University has a new online application system (ApplyYourself) for all potential graduate students, domestic and international. All materials should be submitted through this one system, including general application information for the University, as well as specific requirements for the School of Communication. Required elements for the master’s program in Communication include a transcript, evidence of academic interest (a personal statement), a writing sample (academic or professional), and three recommendations (e.g., professors, academic professional staff, work supervisors). All of these can be entered and managed through the online application system.

Apply now

Application deadlines

The School of Communication accepts applications for September and January admission on a rolling basis until all available slots are filled.

The early application deadline for early admission is due Feb. 1. Students who wish to be considered for graduate assistantships are advised to submit their application by Feb. 1.


Contact our graduate director at


What application materials are required?
When you apply via our online system, you will be asked to include a transcript, a personal statement, a writing sample and three recommendations.

Can I start my program in any semester of the academic year?
Applications are accepted for September and January admission on a rolling basis until all available slots are filled.

If I do not have an undergraduate degree in communication, am I eligible to apply to the graduate program in communication?
Yes. However, you may be required to take additional courses to prepare yourself for the graduate program.

Do I have to be a full-time student?
No. The School of Communication accepts both part-time and full-time graduate students. Part-time students generally enroll in three to six hours of coursework each semester whereas full-time students enroll in six or more hours of coursework per semester.

How many credit hours do I need to complete the graduate program in communication?
30 credit hours including the capstone experience.

Do I need to write a thesis?
A thesis is one of the capstone options. You may choose another capstone experience, such as comprehensive exams or a professional project.

What kind of financial support is available for graduate students?
There are a limited number of teaching assistantships and research assistantships available each year. See our funding options for more information.

Who should I meet with when I start my graduate program?
You should meet with the graduate director who will help you with your first steps as a graduate student. Email to set up an appointment.

What is the Accelerated M.A. (also known as the Accelerated Graduate Degree Program (AGDP))?
This is a graduate program that allows undergraduate seniors to start their graduate program during their senior year. They can take up to 12 credit hours of graduate (5000-6000 level) courses that will be counted towards their undergraduate degree as well as graduate degree. See our Accelerated Degree offerings for more information.