Undergraduate Advising

Sprau Tower and the Miller Plaza Fountain on a sunny dayUndergraduate students in the School of Communication at Western Michigan University should meet with the undergraduate department advisor, Beth Cramer, regularly. The department advisor can assist students in understanding degree requirements, campus resources and academic options, while helping students determine and achieve academic goals.

To meet with the academic advisor, students must either attend drop-in hours or schedule an appointment. For updated advising information and notifications, follow advising on Twitter.

Advising information as of April 6, 2020: The School of Communication advisor, Beth Cramer, will be available on a limited basis at this time. Questions can and should still be directed to com-advising@wmich.edu. Limited appointments are available by WebEx, and additional advising resources are listed below.

Advising appointments

Due to the University’s response to the COVID-19 outbreak facing the state of Michigan, there will not be any face-to-face advising appointments in the School of Communication at this time. School of Communication students will continue to be served through WebEx meetings, email and online chat advising.

Schedule a Webex appointment

Chat Advising Instructions    Chat Advising Availability

If you need a quicker response or more advising times, please contact the College of Arts and Sciences advising office.

Contact CAS advising

Contact the undergraduate advisor

Email Beth Cramer, 319 Sprau Tower

Declare a major or minor

The School of Communication offers seven majors and two minors. To explore the options and their requirements, review different majors and minors in the Undergraduate Academic section of the website.

If you are ready to declare your major or minor, you may request the change online:


Find information about internships and applying for credit on our internship page.

Degree requirements

Check your remaining courses in Degree Works (accessible through a student's GoWMU account) or refer to your degree requirements. Degree requirements can also be found at the office on the third floor of Sprau Tower.

Undergraduate information, links and services