The University community recently received a message that Staff Compensation System employees will receive a 2.25% pay adjustment effective July 1, 2019. This change does not impact WMU student employees. WMU student pay rates were adjusted by 2.1% as of July 1, 2019. Since January 2016, WMU student pay rates have increased by 11.18%. University departments follow the University Guidelines for Student Pay, and are encouraged to offer raises to their student employees based on performance, as their budgets allow.
student employee structure
- Effective July 1, 2019, there is a change in the student compensation pay structure. The current nine cell student pay structure is replaced by a three-band system: SE1, SE2, and SEQ.
- Steps are no longer a part of the student pay structure. Instead, departments can opt to pay a student anywhere in the pay band, as long as the rate falls between the lower and upper band limits.
- The student employee -SE1, was set at the State of Michigan minimum wage.
- The third option "SEQ" is available for highly skilled positions requiring pay rate exceptions beyond SE2.
- In the rare instance when a pay rate above $50 per hour is justified, documentation must be provided by the hiring agent. These exceptions are reviewed and approved on a case-by-case basis.
Student employee pay rates effective July 1, 2019
|SEQ||$10.85 and greater. Rates above $50 per hour require prior approval from Career and Student Employment Services in order to be processed.|
General guidelines for determining position level
SE1: Position requires some skill; training is provided. Direct and indirect supervision is provided. Uses independent judgment within limits.
SE2: Position requires previous skill development. Indirect supervision provided. May provide work direction and supervision to other student employees. Uses independent judgment to solve problems.
SEQ: Position requires specialized skills. Works independently, with little to no supervision.
- Change in rate requires submitting a new transaction through student employment online transactions.
New job codes/titles and new gradeS
- Please note that effective July 1, 2019, there will be new job codes/titles in addition to new grades. Each title will now include a grade with the description, e.g. Stu-Office Assistant SE1.
- The transition to the new pay scale will be automatic and no pay rates will be changed. The new grades will be converted as follows:
|Current Grade||New Grade|