student employee structure
- Departments can opt to pay a student anywhere in the pay band, as long as the rate falls between the lower and upper band limits.
- The student employee -SE1, is set at the State of Michigan minimum wage.
- The third option "SEQ" is available for highly skilled positions requiring pay rate exceptions beyond SE2.
- In the rare instance when a pay rate above $50 per hour is justified, documentation must be provided by the hiring agent. These exceptions are reviewed and approved on a case-by-case basis.
Student employee pay rates effective January 1, 2020
|SEQ||$10.85 and greater. Rates above $50 per hour require prior approval from Career and Student Employment Services in order to be processed.|
General guidelines for determining position level
SE1: Position requires some skill; training is provided. Direct and indirect supervision is provided. Uses independent judgment within limits.
SE2: Position requires previous skill development. Indirect supervision provided. May provide work direction and supervision to other student employees. Uses independent judgment to solve problems.
SEQ: Position requires specialized skills. Works independently, with little to no supervision.
- Change in rate requires submitting a new transaction through student employment online transactions.
New job codes/titles and new gradeS
- Please note that effective July 1, 2019, WMU introduced new job codes/titles. Each title now includes a grade with the description, e.g. Stu-Office Assistant SE1.