Campus Employment for Students
On-campus job search
- Have your resume and cover letter reviewed by sending it to email@example.com (or in the Career Zone when in-person operations resume).
- Find an on-campus job in Handshake (tips about searching in Handshake).
- Upload your resume in Handshake and make it visible to employers.
- Review student employee pay rates for on-campus jobs.
Applying for on-campus jobs
- Apply directly to the WMU department following the instructions given in the job posting. Some may request a phone call, a mailed or faxed application form, or ask applicants to stop by in person.
- Several campus employers (such as dining services and recreation center) provide their own application. Check department websites for details.
- Many departments post their jobs on their own websites. Use the University Directory to access these websites.
Work study and forms
- Check your GoWMU account to see if you have received a work study award.
- Employees can complete their I-9s and direct deposit through GoWMU, under the Employee Self-Service link. If direct deposit is not set up, employee with be issued a debit card by Payroll.
- New hires must provide required I-9 documents to Human Resources located in Seibert Administration Building within 72 hours of starting a job.
Student employee payroll and tax information
Employee Self Service
All students and employees are given a Bronco NetID for accessing GoWMU, where you will find the Employee Self Service channel. You can view paychecks, make changes to your W4 tax withholding and receive your year-end W2. Once logged into GoWMU, select Employee Self Service.
Your Paycheck Schedule
Paychecks are issued every other Tuesday. The pay schedule can be found on www.wmich.edu/payroll
View Paycheck using GoWMU
Paycheck information is only available electronically and is usually posted two days prior to pay day. Access through Employee Self Service and View Paycheck. The net pay distribution box lets you know how your pay was processed.
Have your pay directly deposited into your bank account to ensure you are paid in a timely manner. New accounts may take up to two pay periods to take effect. If you do not sign up for Direct Deposit, a Money Network Services Paycard will automatically be issued to you. Sign up for Direct Deposit in person in Payroll, room 1270 Siebert Administration Building. Picture ID required.
Money Network Services is a Visa prepaid card that your pay will be loaded to each payday if you do not sign up for Direct Deposit. This is a form of a debit card. Student issued Money Network® Cards must be picked up at the Payroll Office, room 1270 Siebert Administration Building.
W4 Tax Withholding
If you plan on claiming “Single” with 0 allowances, there is no need to complete this section in employee self service. You cannot claim “exempt” if you are being claimed as a dependent on another person’s taxes.
International Student Employees
International Tax Treaties
International employees traveling on an F-1 VISA are not required to pay FICA taxes for five calendar years from date of entry. J-1 VISA is exempt for two years from date of entry. Complete the exemption form in the Payroll and Disbursements office. Form completion is required for exemption for non-enrolled students.