Student Employee Appreciation Week
Student Employee Appreciation 2021
Congratulations to our 2021 Winners
Student Employee of the Year (Graduate Student): Isaac Hughes, University Recreation
Student Employee of the Year (Undergraduate): Flor Santana, Housing and Residence Life
Supervisor of the Year: Norm Risk, College of Aviation
Thank You Judges!
Student Employee Appreciation Week
Student and supervisor of the year nominees. Please know how fortunate Western Michigan University is to have your support and commitment through your campus jobs and academic pursuits. We have all experienced a year like no other. However, through your adaptability, initiative, and exceptional work ethic you were instrumental in the success of your department and the universities mission. Much gratitude and admiration. Go Broncos!
Our judges had a daunting task choosing the student and supervisor of the year. So many outstanding nominees!
"Flor's consummate professionalism on the phone and through email has kept many a parent satisfied and appreciative that their students are in good hands. She never lets anything get to her, regardless of how someone treats her in person or on the phone. Flor is filled with confidence and uses her expert judgement to best help and support anyone that comes into or calls the office... (she) has high expectations of herself and lives up to that through her expert note taking and engaging customer service skills." - Jim Herman, Residence Life
"At DSS we are grateful to be able to employ Student Staff to keep our office running. Our Student Staff work with a diverse range of students and are asked to problem solve and communicate in nonstandard situations often. Working with students as they build skills for future employment is enlightening for professional staff and allows for the student voice to be included in building office processes and practices. DSS would not be able to run effectively if we didn't have the support of our student employees." - Disability Student Services
"Amanda (Swope) has been with our team for about six years...worked so hard and shown such dedication that she is now our Student lead. Amanda...coordinate(s) scheduling and any shifts that need covering to ensure our Switchboard is staffed properly...Her work ethic is amazing...I’ve personally heard her console a customer, a parent calling concerned about her student, and giving someone step by step directions to a location on campus. All of these qualities make Amanda an exceptional employee." - Missy Bininger, Office of Information Technology
"...Norm (Risk) has helped tremendously in allowing a work-school balance that has allowed me to succeed academically and (he) has always supported me during the difficulties and challenges while attending WMU… Norm is an excellent mentor in many areas…He has taught me to think outside the box when looking for answers and solutions to complex issues that I will be able to apply to a multitude of problems that may arise… He has mentored and shaped my work ethic and skills into something I will be able to use throughout my career and life that will help me succeed.” - Ryan Horvath, student employee in College of Aviation
Student Employee Nominees 2021
Student Employee Supervisor Nominees 2021
Celebrate student staff
Gary L Belleville Student Employee of the Year
- Career and Student Employment Services hosts the annual Student Employee Appreciation Week celebration in February. The week is dedicated to student employees. It is a time to recognize all the hard work and contributions that they make to Western Michigan University and the greater community. The past year has been like no other. Take some time to celebrate your student staff. This event offers the opportunity to nominate outstanding students and student supervisors for the Student and Supervisor of the Year award.
- Student employees work in most campus departments. Their work ranges from cashiers to graduate assistants. WMU employs approximately 3,500 during the fall/spring semesters. Campus student employment allows students to build skills, explore career options, and make meaningful contributions to the university and community. . Supervisors are encouraged to nominate their outstanding student employees for Student Employee of the Year.
- Student Supervisors play a key role in hiring, training, reviewing and modeling key skills and behaviors. These modeled skills and behaviors are meant to foster the development of skilled, competent student employees. Students are encouraged to nominate their outstanding supervisor for Supervisor of the Year.
- One major activity of Student Employee Appreciation Week includes honoring all nominations and winners for the Student Employee and the Supervisor of the Year. The names of the winning student and supervisor will be forwarded to a competition through the Midwest Association of Student Employment Administrators (MASEA).
- If you wish to create certificates of appreciation for your student staff, you may do so with the Student Appreciation Certificate.
Recognition Ideas for Student Employees
Treat day - full-time staff bring in treats for student employees.
Take pictures - post student employee pictures and list what wonderful things they do for your department.
Send a special "thank you" letter to your student employees to show your appreciation.
Coupon booklets - insert coupons for a free snack, movie night at the boss' house, one dozen home-baked goodies, etc. Be creative in designing your own coupons.
Bookstore gift certificates are always a nice treat for students.
Notes home - send a note to the families of your student employees. Let them know what the student does, how their work impacts your department, and how terrific the student is.
Buy blank certificates and make up silly awards for students.
Office party - celebrate with food and great conversation.
Friendship plants - take cuttings from a plant in the office and give to each student as a live connection to the office.
Pat on the back - draw an outline of your hand on a piece of paper and copy for each student. Write a note that tells the student why they deserve it.
Use this week as an opportunity to start an award recognition program. Look around the office for a white elephant item. Name the item for the award and make the first presentation of it during Student Employee Appreciation Week.
Make a banner to hang for the whole week in your office.
Decorate an office bulletin board or the office door for the week in recognition of your students.
Good Egg Award - buy plastic Easter eggs, fill them with goodies and give out with "good egg" certificates. List what the student did to deserve the award.
Care package with cookies and treats.
Evaluate your student employee's performance and give them feedback.
Buy a pizza for your students or have a potluck. gather gift certificates from local vendors.
An award ceremony for your student staff.
Consider setting up the Career Readiness Workshop for your Student Employees :https://wmich.edu/career/request-presentation. . It will help them identify their transferable skills, enable clearer communication with prospective employers, and promoting professionalism.