Celebrate Student Staff
Gary L. BELLEVILLE STUDENT EMPLOYEE OF THE YEAR
- Career and Student Employment Services hosts the annual Student Employee Appreciation Week celebration in February. The week is dedicated to student employees and is a time to recognize all the hard work and contributions that they make to Western Michigan University and the greater community. The past year has been like no other. Take some time to celebrate your student staff. This event offers the opportunity to nominate outstanding students and student supervisors for the Student and Supervisor of the Year award.
- Student employees work in most campus departments. Their work ranges from cashiers to graduate assistants. WMU employs approximately 3,500 during the fall/spring semesters. Campus student employment allows students to build skills, explore career options, and make meaningful contributions to the university and community. . Supervisors are encouraged to nominate their outstanding student employees for Student Employee of the Year.
- Student Supervisors play a key role in hiring, training, reviewing and modeling key skills and behaviors that foster the development of skilled, competent student employees. Students are encouraged to nominate their outstanding supervisor for Supervisor of the Year.
- One major activity of Student Employee Appreciation Week includes honoring all nominations and presenting awards to the Student Employee of the Year and the Supervisor of the Year. The winning student and supervisor's nominations will be forwarded to a Midwest competition through the Midwest Association of Student Employment Administrators (MASEA).
- If you wish to create certificates of appreciation for your student staff, you may do so with the Student Appreciation Certificate.
RECOGNITION IDEAS FOR STUDENT EMPLOYEES
- For most of us, we will be celebrating virtually. Let's get creative!
- Treat day - full-time staff bring in treats for student employees.
- Take pictures - post student employee pictures and list what wonderful things they do for your department.
- Send a special "thank you" letter to your student employees to show your appreciation.
- Coupon booklets - insert coupons for a free snack, movie night at the boss' house, one dozen home-baked goodies, etc. Be creative in designing your own coupons.
- Bookstore gift certificates are always a nice treat for students.
- Notes home - send a note to the families of your student employees. Let them know what the student does, how their work impacts your department, and how terrific the student is.
- Buy blank certificates and make up silly awards for students.
- Office party - celebrate with food and great conversation.
- Friendship plants - take cuttings from a plant in the office and give to each student as a live connection to the office.
- Pat on the back - draw an outline of your hand on a piece of paper and copy for each student. Write a note that tells the student why they deserve it.
- Use this week as an opportunity to start an award recognition program. Look around the office for a white elephant item. Name the item for the award and make the first presentation of it during Student Employee Appreciation Week.
- Make a banner to hang for the whole week in your office.
- Decorate an office bulletin board or the office door for the week in recognition of your students.
- Good Egg Award - buy plastic Easter eggs, fill them with goodies and give out with "good egg" certificates. List what the student did to deserve the award.
- Care package with cookies and treats.
- Evaluate your student employee's performance and give them feedback.
- Buy a pizza for your students or have a potluck. gather gift certificates from local vendors.
- An award ceremony for your student staff.
- Consider setting up the Career Readiness Workshop for your Student Employees https://wmich.edu/career/request-presentation. It will help them identify their transferable skills and enable them to communicate with prospective employers, while also promoting professionalism on the job.
CONGRATULATIONS TO OUR 2020 WINNERS
Student Employee of the Year: Rozlin Opolka, Gallery Assistant, Richmond Center for Visual Arts/ExhibitionsSupervisor of the Year: Juan Antonio Lopez, Manager Peer Coaching Program, Student Success Services
Student Employee Nominees 2020
Student Employee Supervisor Nominees 2020