The Department of Chemistry at Western Michigan University offers degree programs for students interested in:
- Coursework suitable for a future related to business and sales within industrial chemistry.
- Careers in academia.
- Pursuing graduate studies and jobs in the laboratory and government.
Chemistry clears the way to many different pursuits including:
- Positions in chemistry, teaching and research.
- Preparing for graduate study in chemistry, biochemistry, medicine/dentistry or pharmaceuticals.
- Working in environmental science and engineering, forensics, business and law.
Various majors are available, including secondary education (for students desiring to teach chemistry curriculum at the secondary level).
Chemistry courses offered by semester.
Graduate programs provide a broad background in chemical sciences while providing opportunities for students to work closely with faculty mentors. The M.S. and Ph.D. degrees in chemistry combine traditional classroom learning with a research experience to prepare a student in matters of critical thinking, experimental design and methodology, data evaluation and scientific ethics. Students will work with an advisor to select a research topic and achieve timely completion of research objectives through group meetings, routine reports, submission of manuscripts for publication, or presenting at local, regional, or national meetings.
- If you are currently taking a pre-requisite at another college of university, or plan to before the semester for which you would like to register, please email email@example.com with your name and WIN as well as the semester, course number and associated CRNs for each course.
- Some students receive enrollment errors while attempting to register for classes even when they have satisfied the prerequisites. This is due to the requirement of registering for the lecture and lab simultaneously. The following procedure should eliminate most issues:
- When in the registration menu select course offerings.
- Find the lecture that you would like to take and select ADD TO WORKSHEET
- Find the lab that you would like to take and select ADD TO WORKSHEET
- Once both lecture and lab have been added to your worksheet, select SUBMIT CHANGES and both courses will be added to your schedule.
We will not waive a pre-requisite for any reason.
If you are still receiving an error please email firstname.lastname@example.org with your name and WIN as well as the semester, course number and associated CRNs for each course.
Students may find assistance for chemistry courses from student success resources coordinated by the College of Arts and Sciences.
The following sites and resources represent chemists.