Students conducting an experiment.Students in the Department of Chemistry at Western Michigan University must meet regularly with a Department of Chemistry advisor during posted hours to ensure completion of all graduation requirements. It is each student's responsibility to schedule appointments in a timely manner to meet graduation deadlines in the academic calendar. Students can find course offerings for a specific term. The undergraduate catalog provides course descriptions as well as department and program information for major and minor options.

Major or minor requirements | Placement | Enrollment tips | Graduate advising

Undergraduate advising

Schedule an advising appointment

Appointments with the chemistry advisor are held in 2220 Chemistry Building. After clicking the button, follow the instructions to schedule an appointment.

Make an advising appointment

Advising appointments facilitate student success by creating an on-going partnership between students and advisors. Advisors provide knowledge regarding degree requirements, WMU resources and the value of a liberal arts education. Students should meet with a chemistry advisor for questions regarding the undergraduate program:

  • College of Arts and Sciences, chemistry major or minor requirements
  • Secondary Education, chemistry major or minor requirements

For general education requirements, meet with a College of Arts and Sciences advisor.
For general education, pre-professional and professional education requirements, meet with a College of Education and Human Development advisor.

Undergraduate advisors

Major or minor requirements

  • Make an advising appointment to declare your major or minor.
  • If your major is in chemistry, complete your last 14 credit hours in the Department of Chemistry at WMU.
  • If your minor is in chemistry, you must complete 20 credits of Chemistry courses and your last 7 credit hours must be taken at WMU. In addition you must take at least one course that contains a laboratory experience in the Department of Chemistry at WMU.
  • If you have chosen any chemistry major, successfully completing CHEM 4360: Physical Chemistry Laboratory will satisfy your baccalaureate-level writing requirement.

Students majoring in chemistry are encouraged, but not required, to minor in physics, mathematics or biology.

Chemistry placement

To ensure that you possess adequate skills in chemistry, you must:

  • have had one year of high school chemistry, or
  • enroll in CHEM 1000 to build up your background in chemistry.

In addition, you must meet one of the following math requirements:

  • MATH ACT score of 25 or higher
  • successful completion of MATH 1110 (Algebra II) with a grade of a C or higher, or
  • placed into MATH 1180 (Precalculus) or a higher level MATH course.

If you have taken high school chemistry but not MATH 1110, you only need to take MATH 1110 before enrolling in CHEM 1100/1110.

Enrollment Assistance

  • If you are currently taking a pre-requisite at another college of university, or plan to before the semester for which you would like to register, please email with your name and WIN as well as the semester, course number and associated CRNs for each course.
  • Some students receive enrollment errors while attempting to register for classes even when they have satisfied the prerequisites. This is due to the requirement of registering for the lecture and lab simultaneously. The following procedure should eliminate most issues:
  1. When in the registration menu select course offerings.
  2. Find the lecture that you would like to take and select ADD TO WORKSHEET
  3. Find the lab that you would like to take and select ADD TO WORKSHEET
  4. Once both lecture and lab have been added to your worksheet, select SUBMIT CHANGES and both courses will be added to your schedule.

We will not waive a pre-requisite for any reason.

If you are still receiving an error please email with your name and WIN as well as the semester, course number and associated CRNs for each course.

Third time enrollment

  • Students who attempt a chemistry course and twice have received a non-passing grade (DC or below) must go through an academic success planning process to be able to register for the same course for a third time.
  • To start this process, students first make an in-person appointment here with the Undergraduate Chemistry Advisor at least two weeks before the start of the semester for which they are requesting third time enrollment.
  • Students are highly encouraged to bring this completed request for repeat enrollment form with them to their advising appointment.
  • Give yourself lots of time to complete the entire process. There are multiple conversations and several signatures to obtain in order to register for the third time. If you know NOW you will not pass your current chemistry course, make your advising appointment TODAY!
  • The Chemistry Department will not register third-time enrollees beyond the first day of the start of the semester requested.

Graduate advising

If you plan to attend graduate school in chemistry, we discourage you from taking courses under the credit-no credit option. Graduate course descriptions are listed in the WMU catalog.

Master's and doctoral students are to meet with the graduate advisor, Dr. Ramakrishna Guda, for their curriculum requirements.