Western Michigan University
1903 W Michigan Ave
Kalamazoo MI 49008-5318 USA
Mondays and Wednesdays 12:00 p.m. to 2:00 p.m. (by appointment).
- Ph.D., Communication Studies, Moi University, 2010
- Multi-media storytelling
- Film appreciation and analysis
- Photography, audio/podcasting, and video production
- Global media, activism, and social movements
- Participatory digital cultures
- Global digital hegemonies and exclusionary technologies
- Mobile technologies in Africa
Dr. Lusike Mukhongo is an associate professor in the School of Communication at Western Michigan University. Her commitment to promoting diversity, equity and inclusion is grounded in her global teaching experience and research work among historically underserved groups. She has extensive experience researching participatory digital cultures, online contestations, collective action, global digital hegemonies, and exclusionary technologies.
She is a recipient of numerous research awards and fellowships such as Africa No Filter (2022), Westminster Institute for Advanced Studies (2017)-deferred, British Academy (2013), Coimbra Group Fellowship (2008), Moi University 5th URF (2008), Germany Academic and Exchange Service-DAAD (2005). In 2020, she was appointed as a research mentor for the Africa No Filter Emerging Scholars Research Fellowship Program where she worked with early career scholars from different countries in Africa.
She is also the Book & Film reviews editor for the Journal of African Media Studies (JAMS) and a member of several professional associations such as International Association of Media and Communication Research (IAMCR), National Communication Association (NCA), Association for the Study of the Worldwide African Diaspora (ASWAD), and Association of Internet Researchers (AOIR). She has published her research in peer-reviewed publications such as:
- Critical Arts, Routledge Journals
- Africa Spectrum, Sage Journals
- Gender and Development, Routledge Journals
- Ada: A Journal of Gender, New Media, and Technology
- Triple C. Communication, Capitalism & Critique
For more information, visit her professional website here.