Application Instructions: Criteria and Process
The Marc Henry Simon Memorial Endowed Scholarship is given in honor of the memory of Marc Henry Simon who graduated from Western Michigan University in 2011 with a bachelor's degree in communication studies and who passed away in November 2013.
Purpose: This scholarship honors a student who demonstrates a capacity for leadership at the university and in the community and who also demonstrates a great capacity for joy.
Amount: Each academic year a scholarship award of a minimum of $500 is available for one student.
- Full-time undergraduate student with sophomore or junior academic status and a major in the School of Communication.
- A minimum GPA of 2.0.
Preference will be given to a student who possesses leadership qualities and shows resilience from having overcome a challenge such as an injury, academic struggle, or personal hardship.
- Applicant must submit the Marc Henry Simon Scholarship application form.
- Applicant must submit an essay detailing his/her leadership qualities and his/her resilience in overcoming a challenge (see preferences noted in Selection Criteria above). Submit your materials by TBD February 2022, to Dr. Kathleen Propp using the application form below.
A scholarship committee composed of School of Communication faculty will review the applications. The committee will determine the recipient.
- The scholarship recipient shall be named in the spring for awarding in the following academic year (2022-2023).
- The award shall be distributed one half in the fall semester (2022) and one half in the spring semester (2023).