Career Planning for Graduate Students
Graduate student career guide
- Access a comprehensive guide for an academic job search from ChronicleVitae. Find out what happens to your application, learn why your cover letter is being rejected, and get tips for making your campus visit a success.
- Plan for your financial, academic, career, and engagement success with an individual development plan.
Career events and networking with employers
- Build skills and learn about employer expectations through job fairs, professional development events, visiting scholar lectures and academic department-sponsored events. Visit Handshake frequently to view upcoming events.
- Virtual job fairs and interviews resource guide
Resume, curriculum vitae (CV) advice
- Academic, research and government jobs often require a CV. Industry generally prefers a resume, highlighting your accomplishments without all the detail.
- Learn how to write a CV and review CV samples.
Job market resources and search strategies
- Who’s hiring? What can I do with my graduate degree? How do I know if the salary offer is competitive? Meet with a career specialist to investigate the answers to these questions for you. We are sensitive to the needs of graduate students and the variety of career options available with a masters, certificate or doctoral degree.
- Review sample employers and job titles for graduate degrees.
Get regular "check-ups"
- Schedule a customized career planning session.
- We are located on main campus, between the Bernhard Center and the parking structure. Ample parking is available and a Kalamazoo Metro bus stop is located nearby.
- Prefer a phone or virtual advising appointment? We can do that, too. Call (269) 387-2745, book a virtual advising appointment, or email email@example.com.