The undergraduate and graduate students in the Department of Geological and Environmental Sciences at Western Michigan University comprise a highly-active scientific community. Not only do students perform innovative research, but they also regularly participate in professional organizations, give presentations, publish their research and successfully compete for awards at the department, University, national and international levels. Below are some of the most recent awards that our accomplished students have earned.
Ph.D. candidate, Cameron Manche, recently published a research article in Geology. This work was also featured on the cover of volume 47. Read more at Evaluating reflux dolomitization using a novel high-resolution record of dolomite stoichiometry: A case study from the Cretaceous of central Texas, USA.
- Undergraduate student, Stephanie Buglione, has been accepted into the NASA L'SPACE Academy's level 1 Spring 2019 program. This program is designed to help students gain greater insight and skills in NASA mission protocols, procedures and practices as well as provide an opportunity to work within an interdisciplinary, co-located team of students that are passionate about science and engineering.
- M.S. student, Neal Turluck, took home first place in the poster contest at the annual meeting for the Michigan Chapter of AIPG on Nov. 29, 2018. AIPG student members were invited to bring their posters to compete for awards up to $1,000 cash in both undergraduate and graduate levels.
- Gebremichael's Publication on Nile Delta Grabs Spotlight
April 24, 2018 | Office of the Vice President for Research
Graduate student Esayas Gebremichael's Nile Delta research is published and featured as Eos Spotlight
- M.S. student Zaid Nasseer Nadhim took home second place at the Governor's Summit on Extractive Industries that took place in East Lansing, MI on Feb. 13, 2018.
- Karem Abdelmohsen (Ph.D.) — Departmental David Kuenzi Graduate Student Research Award, Advisory Council Endowment
- Mohammed Al Hooti (B.S.) — Departmental Senior Honor Award in Geophysics
- Mohammed Al Musawi (M.S.) — Department-level Graduate Research and Creative Scholar Award
- Timothy Brau (B.S.) — Departmental Senior Honor Award in Education
- Stephanie Buglione (B.S.) — Departmental Lauren D. Hughes Environmental Scholarship
- Conner Carpenter (B.S.) — Departmental Core of Four Endowment
- Elizabeth Gaines (B.S.) — Departmental Senior Honor Award in Geology
- Beau Haag (M.S.) — Departmental Douglas Daniels Endowment, Departmental Lloyd and Marilyn Schmaltz Professional Activities Award
- Erin Huggett (B.S.) — Departmental Senior Honor Award in Hydrogeology
- Shelby Hurst (Ph.D.) — All University and Department-level Graduate Teaching Effectiveness Award
- Sita Karki (Ph.D.) — Department-level Graduate Research and Creative Scholar Award
- Cameron Manche (Ph.D.) — Graduate College Student Travel Grant, Departmental William and Linda Harrison Endowment
- Evangelia Murgia (B.S.) — College of Arts and Sciences Undergraduate Research and Creative Activities Award, Departmental Roger and LuAnne Steininger Geology Scholarship in honor of Dr. Lloyd Schmaltz
- Kevin Nguyen (G.C.P.) — Departmental Laton-Lambright Field Camp Endowment
- Tyler Norris (M.S.) — Department-level Graduate Teaching Effectiveness Award, Graduate College: nominated to present at the 13th Annual Research and Creative Poster and Performance Day
- Kyle O'Brien (B.S.) — Departmental Senior Honor Award in Earth Science
- Hannah Pankratz (Ph.D.) — Departmental Distinguished Student Service Award
- Chanho Park (M.S.) — Departmental Laton-Lambright Field Camp Endowment
- Katharine Rose (M.S.) — Departmental Randall Kerhin Graduate Endowment
- Hossein Sahour (Ph.D.) — Departmental Empowering Geosciences Endowment (AGU)
- Guzhaliayi Sataer (Ph.D.) — Departmental Mohamed Sultan Endowment (AGU), Departmental Kalamazoo Geological and Mineral Society Scholarship
- Katie Sauer (B.S.) — Departmental Envirologic Technologies Endowment
- Nicholas Shaw (B.S.) — Departmental Presidential Scholar, Departmental Roger and LuAnne Steininger Geology Scholarship in honor of Dr. Lloyd Schmaltz
- Neal Turluck (M.S.) — Departmental Kalamazoo Geological and Mineral Society Scholarship
- Aaron Ward (B.S.) — Departmental John and Kelly Grace Endowment, Departmental Shirley J. Aiken Geosciences Scholarship
- Madison Wayt (M.S.) — Departmental Alan E. Kehew Endowment, Departmental Lauren D. Hughes Environmental Scholarship, Departmental William and Linda Harrison Endowment
- Mohammed Al Musawi — Geological Society of America Graduate Student Research Grant (GSA 2018)
- Stephanie Buglione (B.S.) — Acceptance into the L'SPACE spring 2019 Level 1 Academy
- Cameron Manche (Ph.D.) — Society for Sedimentary Geology Travel Grant
- Brooks Ryan (Ph.D.) — Society for Sedimentary Geology Student Participation Grant (AAPG ACE 2018 and 2019), Shell Student Travel Stipend Grant - Top 15 Student Poster Abstract (AAPG 2018), American Association of Petroleum Geologists Best Student Oral Presentation Award (AAPG ACE 2018)
- Neal Turluck (M.S.) — American Institute of Professional Geologists Michigan Section: Best Graduate Student Poster (1st place)