On-campus housing for the International Congress on Medieval Studies is provided in the co-ed residence halls of Western Michigan University, which is a tobacco free campus, indoors and out. There are two on-campus housing options. Registration for on-campus housing is a part of the Congress registration process. Either or both on-campus housing options may well be sold out before the close of pre-registration. Please plan accordingly.
- Basic accommodation without air conditioning is provided in the residence halls of the Goldsworth Valley 2 and 3 complexes, where most rooms are paired in “suites” with a shared bathroom.
- Premium accommodation with air conditioning is provided in WMU’s newest residence halls (opened 2015), the Western Heights complex, where rooms are arranged into “houses” of 10-17 rooms with a community bathroom or bathrooms (each with a shared sink area and stalls for toilets and showers). We expect that most houses will be mixed gender, but registrants may opt for an all-female or all-male house. In Western Heights, which is fully wheelchair accessible, a refrigerator is available in each house.
- At past congresses, rooms could be reserved for Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights of the Congress, but neither earlier nor later. We do not yet know on which nights on-campus housing will be offered at the 56th Congress (2021).
- Please make your travel arrangements before registering for the congress and making your on-campus housing request.
- The campus housing offered through the congress was designed for WMU undergraduates, and bathrooms are usually shared. Those who require hotel amenities such as cooking facilities and private bathrooms will find them at area hotels.
- All on-campus rooms will be singles unless specific requests are received for double rooms, with roommate specified at the time of registration. Plan carefully and indicate special housing requests at the time of registration. Every effort is made to accommodate timely housing requests, but keep in mind that not every request can be fulfilled.
- If you and a colleague request sharing a double room, we must be in receipt of both registrations before a room will be assigned.
- You and a colleague or colleagues may request sharing an adjoining bathroom in the Goldsworth Valley complexes (i.e., ask to be suitemates), but suitemate requests can be honored only if registrations for all interested parties are received within five working days.
- Room assignments are indicated on the pre-registration packet available for pick up in the Eldridge-Fox lobby of the Goldsworth Valley 3 residence halls, and keys are picked up at registration in the Eldridge-Fox lobby of the Goldsworth Valley 3 residence halls.
On-Campus Housing Rates
Had the congress occurred in 2020, rates for basic accommodation in the Goldsworth Valley complexes for those who pre-registered would have been $40 per person per night for a single room and $33.25 per person per night for a double room.
Had the congress occurred in 2020, rates for premium accommodation in the Western Heights complex for those who pre-registered would have been $83 per person per night for a single room and $62.50 per person per night for a double room.
Any rooms booked to on-site registrants will be billed at the single rate, although two attendees who want to share a room may do so.
Each attendee staying in on-campus housing is issued a pillow, two flat sheets, a summer-weight blanket, a towel, a washcloth, a bar of soap, and a plastic drinking cup.
Fitted bottom sheets are available for $1.50 in limited quantities to those who pre-register for the congress. Those who choose this option will find in the pre-registration packet a ticket to be redeemed at their residence hall desk for the fitted sheet.
The address of on-campus housing for Homeland Security purposes is:
1903 W Michigan Ave
Kalamazoo MI 49008 USA
Check in and check out
If you have booked on-campus housing through pre-registration, you may check in around the clock between noon on Wednesday and the end of the congress.
If you hope to arrange on-campus housing on site, you must arrive when on-site registration in the Eldridge-Fox lobby of the Goldsworth Valley 3 residence halls is open:
- Wednesday, noon to midnight
- Thursday, 8 a.m. to midnight
- Friday, 8 a.m. to 8 p.m.
- Saturday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
All congress attendees must vacate their rooms and turn in their room keys by noon on Monday. Those who do not return their room keys will be charged a $75 fee to have the lock re-cored.
Refunds for registration fees, on-campus housing and cafeteria meals are made only if notification of cancellation is received by the close of pre-registration (April 28 in 2021). No refunds are made after that date.