- Bachelor's degree with GPA of 3.0 or higher in last two years of undergraduate work.
- Resume detailing previous education and experience over the past ten years.
- 500-750 word personal statement explaining applicant’s interest and experience.
- Three professional letters of reference.
"It [the program] allowed me the flexibility as a single parent to work, attend classes and meet the needs of my sons,”"Mark Ybarra, alumni feature
This program is offered in-person
The graduate program in Family and Consumer Sciences provides an advanced program of study with tracks in child life, family sciences and services, youth and community development, or textile and apparel studies. The student will work closely with graduate faculty to develop a plan of study and individual research agenda that fits with personal career and academic goals.
The tracks in child life, family sciences and services, and youth and community development include a minimum of 32 credit hours (or 34 credit hours if a Child Life practicum was not completed prior to entrance). The track in textile and apparel studies is a minimum of 30 credit hours. Half of the credits completed for the MA in FCS must be in courses at the 6000 level or higher, including at least two hours of FCS 7100 Independent Research. A minimum of 15 credit hours in Family and Consumer Sciences must be completed in Family and Consumer Sciences graduate level courses, planned in consultation with a program Graduate Advisor. The program is appropriate for students interested in pursuing professional positions or as a foundation for continued graduate work leading to a doctoral degree.
Assistantships may be available to those wishing to pursue full-time graduate study.
Why family and consumer sciences at Western Michigan University?
- Choice of four excellent tracks: child life, family sciences and services, youth and community development, or textile and apparel studies.
- Option of Accelerated Graduate Degree Program for current WMU undergraduate students. (not available for textile and apparel studies track)
- Students are encouraged to pursue additional educational opportunities through one of our many excellent study abroad programs, such as Education and Human Development in India.
- All WMU programs offer an optional WMU Signature Designation, which helps students degrees stand out through an integrative learning project in one of several pathways including: Teaching & Student Success, Leadership, Health & Wellbeing, Diversity, Inclusion, Equity & Justice, and more!
Who should apply?
Passionate individuals who hold a bachelor's degree from an accredited school with a major closely related to the selected track AND current WMU undergraduate students eligible for the accelerated graduate degree program.
Our graduates are employed as:
- Brand and quality managers
- Marketing executives
- Childlife Specialists
- Youth advocates
- Parent educators
- Specialists and supervisors in community-based social services