On-campus housing for the International Congress on Medieval Studies is provided in the co-ed Goldsworth Valley residence halls on the campus of Western Michigan University. Registration for on-campus housing is a part of the congress registration process.
- Rooms may be reserved for Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights of the Congress, but neither earlier nor later.
- Please make your travel arrangements before registering for the congress and making your on-campus housing request.
- The campus housing offered through the congress was designed for WMU undergraduates, and bathrooms are usually shared. Those who require hotel amenities such as air-conditioning, refrigerators and private bathrooms will find them at area hotels.
- All on-campus rooms will be singles unless specific requests are received for double rooms, with roommate specified at the time of registration. Plan carefully and indicate special housing requests at the time of registration. Every effort is made to accommodate timely housing requests, but keep in mind that not every request can be fulfilled.
- If you and a colleague request sharing a double room, we must be in receipt of both registrations before a room will be assigned.
- If you and a colleague or colleagues request sharing an adjoining bathroom (i.e., ask to be suitemates), we must be in receipt of all registrations before rooms will be assigned.
- Room assignments are indicated on the pre-registration packet, and keys are picked up at registration in the Eldridge-Fox lobby of the Goldsworth Valley III residence halls.
On-Campus Housing Rates
The housing rates for 53rd International Congress on Medieval Studies (May 10-13, 2018) will be posted in February. The rates for the 2017 congress were $38 per night for a single room and $32.25 per person per night for a double room.
Any rooms booked to on-site registrants will be billed at the single rate, although two attendees who want to share a room may do so.
Each attendee staying in on-campus housing is issued a pillow, two flat sheets, a towel, a washcloth, a bar of soap and a plastic drinking cup.
Fitted bottom sheets are available for $1.50 in limited quantities to those who pre-register for the congress. Those who choose this option will find in the pre-registration packet a ticket to be redeemed at their residence hall desk for the fitted sheet.
Blankets are not issued to those staying in on-campus housing. The blankets used in years past were retired from circulation by the University. Blankets are available for purchase ($17/each) at the Goliardic Society booth in the exhibits hall (cash and credit cards).
The address of on-campus housing for Homeland Security purposes is:
1903 W Michigan Ave
Kalamazoo MI 49008 USA
Check in and check out
If you have booked on-campus housing through pre-registration, you may check in around the clock between noon on Wednesday and the end of the congress.
If you hope to arrange on-campus housing on site, you must arrive when on-site registration in the Eldridge-Fox lobby of the Goldsworth Valley III residence halls is open:
- Wednesday, noon to midnight
- Thursday, 8 a.m. to midnight
- Friday, 8 a.m. to 8 p.m.
- Saturday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
All congress attendees must vacate their rooms and turn in their room keys by noon on Monday. Those who do not return their room keys will be charged a $75 fee to have the lock re-cored.
Refunds for registration fees, on-campus housing and cafeteria meals are made only if notification of cancellation is received by the close of pre-registration (April 25 in 2018). No refunds are made after that date.