Veterans Services

We would like to take this opportunity to thank you for the contributions you have provided to the defense of our country while serving in the Armed Forces. WMU is committed to assisting students receiving educational benefits through the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs.

WMU is proud to serve students who are:

  • Veteran, veteran's dependent.
  • Surviving spouse, child or parent of a deceased veteran.
  • Uniformed service member.
  • Present or former reservist or National Guard member.

Veterans certifying official

The role of the VA Certifying Official is to certify semester enrollment and monitor academic progress that is reported to the VA. The certifying official is knowledgeable on each educational chapter offered through the VA and can give general information; however, the certifying official is NOT an employee of the Department of Veterans Affairs and does not have access to veteran records. If you have specific questions or require specific information please contact the Department of Veterans Affairs at 1-888-442-4551.

Military and Veterans Affairs

The Office of Military and Veterans Affairs, located within the Center for Academic Success Programs in Ellsworth Hall, assists in creating a smooth transition from service to student.


Western Michigan University will grant in-state tuition to all veterans and their dependents.

Requesting Military Transcripts