WMU alums have transformed their passion for fashion into challenging and creative careers. You will find our grads working for national retailers and famous brands worldwide. They are designers, buyers, merchandisers, managers and marketers for companies like Gucci, Louis Vuitton, Macy’s, Kohl's, Target, David's Bridal, Express, Ann Inc, and Merrell. You will find them in some unexpected places as automotive and airplane interior designers and retail software marketers. We are very proud of our alums!
Fashion Merchandising and Design Majors
The fashion merchandising and design majors prepare students for careers in the dynamic, fast-paced fashion industry. Students gain knowledge about industrial processes and products and focus their studies on merchandising or design and development to achieve specific career goals. Courses are designed to be stimulating and challenging, with opportunities to develop creative, communication, leadership, and professional skills. Experiential and study abroad opportunities supplement a strong curriculum to assure that graduates can succeed in a culturally diverse and global industry.
Why fashion design and development at Western Michigan University?
- FMD program is the second-largest program in Michigan with integrated merchandising and design programs and is accredited by the National Association of Schools of Art and Design (NASAD) and Textile and Apparel Programs Accreditation Commission (TAPAC).To learn more about the importance of accreditation and the benefits it offers students, please check out additional details at FMD accreditation and mission.
- Faculty with over eight decades of combined industry experience in marketing, retail buying, visual merchandising, and consumer products.
- A solid connection to the fashion industry through a professional advisory board represented by top industry members and a strong alumni base.
- Many transformative learning experiences are offered, including field experiences, internships, and industry tours.
- Up to 24 credit hours may be earned through study abroad or with our partnerships with the Fashion Institute of Technology in New York, Regents University and London University of the Arts in London, or Florence University of the Arts in Italy.
- Annual fashion show sponsored by Merchandising Opportunities and Design Association (MODA). Read about the 2022 MODA fashion show.
- FMD grads are working for national retailers and famous brands all over the worldwide.
- 97% of 2020-2021 program graduates were employed or continued their education within three months of graduation.
Hear it from us
I couldn't credit any of my learning success without my WMU instructors.
- Izzy Kee
Get involved with MODA
WMU's only fashion student organization puts on two fashion show productions a year.
Follow MODA on Instagram