Bachelor of science
Rose Soma designing wrap skirts and fundraising for sewing machines and teachers for poverty-stricken villages in rural Uganda.
The fashion merchandising and design majors prepare students for careers in the dynamic, fast-paced fashion industry. Students gain knowledge about industry processes and products and focus their studies in merchandising or design and development to achieve specific career goals. Courses are designed to be stimulating and challenging, with opportunities to develop creative, communication, leadership, and professional skills. Experiential and study abroad opportunities supplement a strong curriculum to assure that graduates can succeed in a culturally diverse and global industry. The majors follow guidelines approved by the International Textile and Apparel Association to assist in curriculum development and assessment.
Why Fashion Merchandising Design at WMU?
- FMD program is the second-largest program in Michigan with integrated merchandising and design programs and is accredited by the National Association of Schools of Art and Design (NASAD).
- Faculty with over eight decades of combined industry experience in marketing, retail buying, visual merchandising, and consumer products.
- A strong connection to the fashion industry through a professional advisory board represented by top industry members and a strong alumni base.
- Many transformative learning experiences are offered for students, including field experiences, internships, and industry tours.
- A year-round study abroad opportunity is available. Up to 24 credit hours may be earned through our partnerships with the Fashion Institute of Technology in New York, Regents University and London University of the Arts in London, or Florence University of the Arts in Italy.
- FMD grads are working for national retailers and famous brands all over the world. Check out our alumni stories.
MODA student organization
Fashion show hosted by MODA student organization
Fashion design and development
Career opportunities for fashion design graduates include:
- Fashion and technical designers
- Product developers
- Production managers
- Quality control managers
- Sourcing managers
Career opportunities for merchandising graduates include:
- Brand managers
- Marketing executives
- Merchandise planners
- Store managers
- Visual specialists
FMD alumni stories
WMU alums have transformed their passion for fashion into challenging and creative careers. You will find our grads working for national retailers and famous brands all over the world. They are designers, buyers, merchandisers, managers and marketers for companies like Macy’s, Victoria’s Secret, Under Armour, Dillard’s, Target, UGG and Meijer. You will even find them in some unexpected places as automotive interior designers and retail software marketers. We are very proud of our alums!
Dr. Chitra Singh
Dr. Mary Simpson
Ms. Kelly Weathers
Faculty Specialist I
Dr. Zee-Sun Yun