About Doctoral Candidacy
A candidate for a doctoral degree, prior to the session or semester in which the dissertation is defended, is required to have earned or completed satisfactorily the following and to have received approval by the academic program unit to continue study toward a doctoral degree:
- A degree program grade point average of 3.0 or better (3.25 in some programs)
- Appointment of a doctoral dissertation committee and approval of the dissertation proposal by the committee
- All courses (excluding dissertation credit) and program requirements
- All research tool requirements
- Comprehensive examination (if required)
- Fulfillment of the residency requirement, if required by the program
Individual programs may have additional requirements for candidacy.
the Doctoral Candidacy Process
- Download the Admission to Doctoral Candidacy Form to your computer
- Type information directly into the form before printing out. Please use the drop down boxes, when required
- Gather signatures from your committee chair and members
- Submit Admission to Doctoral Candidacy form along with all other required documentation via email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Once form has been approved and signed by Graduate College dean, form will be emailed to the student, department’s program advisor, and department’s administrative assistant.
Contact the Graduate College for questions or concerns either by phone at (269) 387-8212 or email email@example.com