This Walter Enz Memorial Award is given each year in the memory of Walter F. Enz, a graduate of the BFA program at Western Michigan University. Walter Enz felt that to be not learning was to be not living. He never let his own education or experiences interfere with learning, even from someone who possibly knew less then he. He presented an active sort of humility so that he could learn as much from us all as we could offer. He was willing always to give what knowledge and wisdom he had when asked, but never interfered or gave advice. In every class he took, he became the standard, the man to beat or equal and in that elevated everyone to work harder and be more open to learning.
The family of Walter F. Enz established this annual grant to honor the outstanding students in the School of Art. A committee of art faculty, and one member of the Enz family select the recipients each year.
- Second Friday in February
- Amount varies from year to year
- Multiple awards
- Undergraduate Major in the Frostic School of Art
- Enrolled full-time
- Graduating seniors are eligible for this award
- Must be nominated by faculty (one per area) and selected by the scholarship committee, director of the Frostic School of Art and/or Enz family members