The Bronco Study Zone is a space for all Western Michigan University students that offers a comfortable learning environment in which students can receive academic support designed to enhance learning and collaboration toward the goal of academic success.
Service Continuity Update (3/25/20)
By now, you have received multiple communications from President Montgomery and our Provost, Dr. Jennifer Bott, regarding the university’s response to the COVID-19 outbreak. WMU remains open and the Bronco Study Zone is here to provide academic support designed to enhance learning. The Bronco Study Zone office is available Monday through Thursday 9 a.m. to 10 p.m., Friday 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., and Sunday 1 to 10 p.m.
In alignment with courses being offered through distance education for the remainder of the semester, Bronco Study Zone services will be offered from a distance as our staff works remotely during this time. You will be able to receive access to tutoring and academic support through Microsoft Teams. See the information below for instructions about connecting to online tutoring.
For more information about your tutoring options, you may call our office at 269-387-4257. Phone calls will be attended to in the order received.
You may also email the Bronco Study Zone Staff:
As with phone calls, emails will be attended to in the order received. Your success is our top priority and we will do our best to serve your needs. Thank you for your patience and be well!
Info for students who need tutoring
Bronco Study Zone, Math Tutor Lab, & Physics Help Room
A new Microsoft Teams channel has been created for you to connect with tutors. The name of the channel is WMU Academic Support Hub. Follow the steps below to log in and find the WMU Academic Support Hub in Teams.
- Log in to Microsoft Teams
- In your web browser (Google Chrome recommended), go to https://wexchange.wmich.edu and log in - use YourBroncoNetID@wmich.edu and password. (It's important to include "@wmich.edu" after your Bronco NetID at this login.)
- Click on Teams app logo (it's blue-ish-purple) and Teams will open in a new browser tab.
- Click the gold button below to go to the WMU Academic Support Hub team. When you see the "Stay better connected..." message in your browser, click Use the web app instead. Click Join Now.
WMU Academic Support Hub
- You will automatically be in the "General" channel. In the left-side menu, click on the Ask for Help channel to state your tutoring need.
- Scroll to the bottom of the page where it says “start a new conversation”.
- Type your name and class you need tutoring on, like this: "I’m Buster B. I need help with CHEM 1100."
- Tutors will be monitoring this section and will respond to each student.
- Tutors will open a video chat with the student. When you receive the video chat notification, click Join Chat.
- Other students may be able to join this chat (at the tutor's discretion) if they need help with the same subject.
- During the video chat, you can hover over the icons in the middle of the page to unmute your microphone and turn on your camera. There are three dots where you can change your settings if you have problems hearing or issues with your camera.
Spring 2020 hours
- Monday through Thursday, 9 a.m. to 10 p.m.
- Friday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Sunday, 1 p.m. to 10 p.m.
Resources and benefits
The Zone offers an array of resources through a one-stop model to support students and just the right amount of structure to help keep them on track. If the Zone is unable to meet a requested need, students are referred to the appropriate campus resource.
Support services offered to you while in the Zone
- Free drop-in assistance for highly challenging courses.
- Borrow a textbook while visiting the Zone. Click here for list of available textbooks.
- Group collaboration on course assignments.
- Logging mandatory study hours for instructors and organizations.
- Assistance with coping with test anxiety, effective note taking, time management and test taking strategies among others.